Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed Trailer Question

Got a question that maybe one of you has had experience with. I bought an enclosed trailer that I am going to convert to my fertilization/spray rig trailer. This will free up the back of my truck, and eliminate a lot of switching on the other trailers depending on what is going on that day.

So like all enclosed trailers I have looked at, when inside the trailer it is just bare wood. It could already be treated wood, but with some of the chemicals we use, and the chance of spills, I am looking to do something with the floors, and half the walls. Something to protect the wood in case of spills.

My first thought was to get it basically spray in bedlined. Talking to the shop that does my trucks, they stated being wood, it would not work that well.

Second thought was to do cheap stick and peel tile on the floors. This would make for easy clean up in case of a spill, but it is not working like I thought. I started with the rear ramp 4 days ago, and the tile does not seem to want to cure and stick. Sanded, Primed, and stuck as indicated, and still very easy to peel up.

So I am stopped at the back lift gate, because I am not looking to waste more money on something that may or may not work.

Anyone here have a setup like this, and has done anything to the interior to protect the wood. Ideas and possible pictures would be very helpful.

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You want to protect the wood. The tubing frame will rot through in a few years.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to auto zone and get the dura liner bed liner. Stuff works great and lasts for years. Will bond to wood just fine. I have it in 3 enclosed trailers and have no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Go to auto zone and get the dura liner bed liner. Stuff works great and lasts for years. Will bond to wood just fine. I have it in 3 enclosed trailers and have no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
I pretty much had that idea but was hearing liner wouldn't bond with wood. Finally got a hold of the reps of Herculiner (Lowes sales it) and they stated it would bond no problem as long as the wood was clean and sanded properly.

So today I went and picked some up, and just now put my last coat on. It looks good for the price, but to be able to do the half sides of the wall would add a lot of money to it. So instead of going up the walls with it, I am going to go with oil based paint for the walls of the trailer. The oil based has no problem holding up against water for when I do rinse it out.

So as for now, I am letting this cure for probably close to a week since I don't need the trailer right now, then transferring all the equipment from my truck to this trailer.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my back door has bed liner sprayed on it from the factory. I got it and the hitch free as it was an expierment. they were suppose to do the whole thing, but its still there after 7 years of running mowers up and down it at least 15 times daily, more when we mow with 2
Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
my back door has bed liner sprayed on it from the factory. I got it and the hitch free as it was an expierment. they were suppose to do the whole thing, but its still there after 7 years of running mowers up and down it at least 15 times daily, more when we mow with 2
Yea I'm going to see how this works in my chemical trailer, and if it works I will do my open mowing trailers. The wood gets slick on those if it gets damp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex's Mowing View Post
Yea I'm going to see how this works in my chemical trailer, and if it works I will do my open mowing trailers. The wood gets slick on those if it gets damp.
Posted via Mobile Device
we can go full speed up the ramp if we want to when wet. also helps when walking out after a rain. my inside is still plywood and I rear ended a vantage a couple weeks ago
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I just painted my trailer floor with textured floor paint purchased from Home Depot.