Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2003, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Straight Shaft Edger Vs. Curved Shaft

Have any of you all compared the new sthil edger with the straight shaft (FS85) to the curved shaft edgers that are more common. The Sthil dealer swears they carry more power, which does make sense, but my mower dealer doesn't agree. I am considering a new edger and wonder if this is the way to go? Have any of you heard of any other brands, most specificly Shindiawa, that may introduce the straight shaft? Thank you for your replies.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

It all depends on how tall you are i think. If your short use a curved if your tall use a straight. I don't know about the power issue, but stihl makes the best product out there.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran Echo curved shaft edgers for years and just switched to the straight shaft Stihl this past season. I'll never go back. The power is awesome.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 03-25-2003, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I hope you guy's are right about the Stihl. I will be buying the FS85 trimmer that has the split shaft so I can get the edger attachment to go with it. Also, do any of you have the cultivator attachment? It looks like it could be useful for loosening up soil for spot repairs/seeding.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Have to agree with a curved shaft for short folks. I'm about 5'6" and wish I could find shorter shafts(about 6 inches) for string trimmers and our curved shaft edgers(also about -6 inches). All of our 2cycle equipment is echo and have had almost no trouble at all with their reliability.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used a Stihl before, but my Echo curved shaft just doesn't have the power I'd like for edging. In all fairness, I also have to mention that I was used to 26-27cc models in the past, both Echo and Shindawa straight shafts, and my cheap Echo only has 21cc. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the straight shaft has more torque than a curved shaft, because of the gearbox, so if the trimmers have the same engines the straight shaft might do better. Also you would have a longer reach, making it easier to trim under obstacles such as trees with low branches.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT