Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

What should i do?

i have a lawn that by the sides of the driveway, there is no grass and only weeds for about 2 by 10 feet, twice because on both sides of the driveway. The rest of the grass is good. I dont want to put down sod just in one spot because it wont look the same and would make a weird noticable strip. Could i kill the grass and weeds and then rake it all out. Then place seed and soil down?
im new to the business and i usually only mow lawns.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

heres video https://plus.google.com/106936346410...ts/gYeP7aFukbP
Old 07-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpaul View Post
i have a lawn that by the sides of the driveway, there is no grass and only weeds for about 2 by 10 feet, twice because on both sides of the driveway. The rest of the grass is good. I dont want to put down sod just in one spot because it wont look the same and would make a weird noticable strip. Could i kill the grass and weeds and then rake it all out. Then place seed and soil down?
im new to the business and i usually only mow lawns.
yes you could try that.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

ty sir, much appreciated
Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe try liquid weed killer / grass fertilizer just my two cents.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to see exactly, because the video is kinda shaky. I'd rather have a nice clear photo from down low.

But it looks to me like there is still some grass in that area, in addition to the broadleaf weeds.

So in this case you just use a broadleaf herbicide like Trimec Classic or Speedzone. Those are designed to kill broadleaf weeds but not hurt turfgrass. Follow this instructions and it should take care of the broadleaf. Don't water the area for 24 hours after applying the broadleaf herbicide.

Then, give it a week and begin to overseed the area. When you overseed two things are important: 1) Use the same variety of seed that matches the lawn. If you're unsure take a close-up photo and ask a local garden center or nursery what variety it is. There are usually only one or two main varieties of turfgrass used in any given climate. 2) Don't apply so much seed that the ground looks totally white. Most people put down WAY too much seed when they are overseeding. It should look like this - so you can still see some of the soil. Finally, have the customer sprinkle it just a little to get it damp, a few times a day.

That should take care of it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Hard to see exactly, because the video is kinda shaky. I'd rather have a nice clear photo from down low.

But it looks to me like there is still some grass in that area, in addition to the broadleaf weeds.

So in this case you just use a broadleaf herbicide like Trimec Classic or Speedzone. Those are designed to kill broadleaf weeds but not hurt turfgrass. Follow this instructions and it should take care of the broadleaf. Don't water the area for 24 hours after applying the broadleaf herbicide.

Then, give it a week and begin to overseed the area. When you overseed two things are important: 1) Use the same variety of seed that matches the lawn. If you're unsure take a close-up photo and ask a local garden center or nursery what variety it is. There are usually only one or two main varieties of turfgrass used in any given climate. 2) Don't apply so much seed that the ground looks totally white. Most people put down WAY too much seed when they are overseeding. It should look like this - so you can still see some of the soil. Finally, have the customer sprinkle it just a little to get it damp, a few times a day.

That should take care of it.
Do either of the products you recommend contain pre-emergent herbicide to kill the weed seed in the turf area or will the OP need to deal with that issue in another way?
easy-lift guy
Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Do either of the products you recommend contain pre-emergent herbicide to kill the weed seed in the turf area or will the OP need to deal with that issue in another way?
easy-lift guy
No, neither of those products are pre-emergents. And you wouldn't want them to be either, because that would keep the grass seed from germinating also.

If there are any remnant weed seeds that result in some new broadleaf weeds coming in, just shoot it again with the broadleaf. Eventually it just disappears and turfgrass takes over it's space.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 AM
Sponsor

Reads like the OP will have a fair amount of spraying to look forward to in the future. I hope he has a PCO license for applying your suggested material?, or at least sub-contract someone that is a licensed PCO.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-15-2014, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Member

If it gets rid of most of them and only a few comeback thats fine. Usually i apply a vinegar, soap, bleach mixture with a eye dropper and it kills them. ty for the help guys