Register free!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm gonna get the Ryobi 10-inch pole saw attachment from HD $100. Why I chose this one:

- Fit my Toro head
- Pole saw 10" (comparable to Husky, Stihl, and Echo)
- Pole saw is tilted
- Have good reviews on HD and Amazon
- $100 is better than spending $500 for a new set of equipment

Seems like a no-brainer decision but I gotta see.....
Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Is Poulan PRO made for PROfessional or commercial use? Is that what they're known for?
Just stick with the Professional brands already in use and discussed on this site.
Poulan PRO, Ryobi and other lesser brands are not made for professional use.
Don' waste your time and money on these brands if you plan on upgrading your present gear for a future investment.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
I'm gonna get the Ryobi 10-inch pole saw attachment from HD $100. Why I chose this one:

- Fit my Toro head
- Pole saw 10" (comparable to Husky, Stihl, and Echo)
- Pole saw is tilted
- Have good reviews on HD and Amazon
- $100 is better than spending $500 for a new set of equipment

Seems like a no-brainer decision but I gotta see.....
Don't waste your money. If you plan on staying in this business you better learn quick that you must budget in order to purchase proper professional equipment. The items that you are wanting to purchase are junk.
Your no brainier comment also applies to wasting money.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help, easy-lift guy. Supposely if I keep up the maintenance, how many hours will it see before it goes into the trash bin? Like 100hr, 500hr, or 1000hr?

Why do you say it's a waste of money? Can you elaborate and provide some technical detail so I can fully evaluate it?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for your help, easy-lift guy. Supposely if I keep up the maintenance, how many hours will it see before it goes into the trash bin? Like 100hr, 500hr, or 1000hr?

Why do you say it's a waste of money? Can you elaborate and provide some technical detail so I can fully evaluate it?
How many hours life you will get out of your Toro and the attachments you have purchased to go with it depends on maintenance and upkeep, how hard of a workout you will put the equipment through. I don't have any idea how hard or easy you are on equipment. To give you a number of hours your equipment will last is impossible to even guesstimate. Buying equipment that is at best homeowner grade equipment to use professionally day in and day out is a waste of money since the equipment is not meant for that amount of wear and tear.
Box Stores generally sell to homeowners. These same stores rarely service what they sell and rely on other brick and mortar dealerships to cover warranty issues and the like. Although the dealership handling your warranty issues may be authorized to service and repair what you buy from some where else, I will tell you that when you do have a problem I hope you will not be needing your equipment back any time soon. Your needs and the dealers needs are generally Two different things. If you bought your Toro equipment from a Toro Dealer that services what they sell you should fair better. If not you will quickly discover that the lower price you paid for your equipment is lower for many reasons, most of which are not good.
Common sense needs to be applied when making purchases for the present and future.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, easy-lift guy. I'm excellent at maintaining my equipment and I do my own mechanical work.

Hypothetically speaking if I own a Kombisystem (KM130R with HT-KM saw) and keep up with maintenance well, how long does these system (assume they're a single/whole system) last? How many hours of use, assuming cutting 6"-dia x 50 branches per day, would you see before the engine needs to be rebuilt/replace?

I'm not quite convince by your assertion, and I need some comparison (some sort of basis like question above), some technical detail to make a full evaluation. Sorry, I'm a very critical thinker.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Sponsor

Since I do not own either set up that you asked me about I can not render an opinion about these models.
May I suggest visiting either an echo, sthil or Husqvarna dealer and pose this same question. Just to show that your an informed consumer ask the dealers to recommend at least one customer each for their opinions about the models your interested in. If the dealer is interested in your business he or she should have no problem answering your questions or providing customer references. If on the other hand the dealer is evasive or to busy or unwilling to help you, find one that will.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I've had my KM110R Kombisystem since 2007. Before that I had a Troy-bilt setup (also a split shaft that took attachments). That lasted me less than 30 days. Everyone's experiences will vary.

For me, the differences are not just in how long they run, but in how well they run.

When Stihl says the pole pruner head has a 12" bar, Stihl means that it has 12" of cut depth. I used it to cut down a 16" diameter cherry tree, and it had no issues doing so.
The Ryobi expand-it pruner claims to be 10", but appears to be quite a bit less.
Stihl uses aluminum tubes for the extensions, the cheap competitors use steel. Any extra weight in a pole pruner head is a very bad thing, and aluminum here is a huge advantage.
The Stihl pole pruner has an oil pump. Some cheap ones do not.
These differences in engineering quality go on and on.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

rlitman: 12-inch bar means that the bar has an effective length 12 inches long. The depth of the cut rely on the chain, driveshaft, gearbox, and engine design. All of that comes into place when an engineer determines how much stress can that setup handle.

Longer chain saw bar has advantages such as greater heat distribution and better sharpness retention. Assuming the chain setup of the Stihl (12" bar) and Ryobi (10" bar) are same design with same material used, I believe the chain on a 12" bar will last longer in term of sharpness.

I think one important thing that I left out is that I'm not using it for commercial use, just for my home. I did not want to reveal that because I thought I might get a good persuasion from someone on here. A good persuasion was something like someone that serviced on homeowner and commercial lines to understand the difference in the design and material used; unfortunately, I didn't see any of it that makes sense.

For this case, homeowner pole saw will work well for me as I understand its limitation and my ability to have it well maintained. It may not be for everybody, I strongly believe it will work well for me.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Trey T; 07-18-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

rlitman: I'm not saying 12" bar does not equal to 12" depth cut; I mean, it should be if it's high quality. If a Ryobi has a 10" bar but only can cut 6" wide or 6" deep, that's the design!!

I think the important thing about having a tools is to understand its limitation of the design and don't abuse it.