Register free!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I held a ladder for my neighbor while he climbed up into it to trim a branch with a Ryobi pole saw. After he climbed it I tried a rope to the shaft just ahead of the loop and he pulled it up. The bouncing, which wasn't excessive, bent the shaft.

After straightening it it kept throwing the chain, the bar got bent and was made of very soft steel as we were able to straighten it as well. The chain tensioner cover was cracked and wouldn't stay tight, it also leaked bar oil every where.

That thing was a POS, my neighbor is super cheap and always buys junk. YMMV.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

^Thanks for the reply, wbdogeiv. I'll keep that in mind. I'll be sure not to handle like that w/ my trimmer system.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Is Poulan PRO made for PROfessional or commercial use? Is that what they're known for?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
No.

Quote:
Thanks for your help, easy-lift guy. Supposely if I keep up the maintenance, how many hours will it see before it goes into the trash bin? Like 100hr, 500hr, or 1000hr?

Why do you say it's a waste of money? Can you elaborate and provide some technical detail so I can fully evaluate it?
I can tell you from firsthand experience that there isn't a specific amount of "hours" you'll get out of disposable, residential tools - could be two uses - could be a year's worth.

You don't need "details" to know that a $100 attachment meant to be used a few weekends a summer will not work, or last as long as one costing much, much more and designed for daily use. Common sense tells you this - no "evaluation" required.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, easy-lift guy. I'm excellent at maintaining my equipment and I do my own mechanical work.

Hypothetically speaking if I own a Kombisystem (KM130R with HT-KM saw) and keep up with maintenance well, how long does these system (assume they're a single/whole system) last? How many hours of use, assuming cutting 6"-dia x 50 branches per day, would you see before the engine needs to be rebuilt/replace?

I'm not quite convince by your assertion, and I need some comparison (some sort of basis like question above), some technical detail to make a full evaluation. Sorry, I'm a very critical thinker.
You are thinking WAY too hard. I can't imagine the amount of Tylenol you must go through.
What will you do when you start thinking of buying something REALLY important like a commercial mower?

I have ALL that residential split-shaft crap. It is both a money saver AND a money waster. It's fine to get you by with until you replace with something better, or for a piece that you will rarely use, but do not depend on ANY of it for daily use.
My garden tiller attachment fell off the shaft this spring using it in my already soft garden soil. LOL. I had used it about 6 times up until that point.
The pole extensions all have missing parts because they vibrate loose and fall off.
It's a crap shoot. I don't regret buying my "crap" because I bought it all dirt cheap on clearance and it has all come in handy at some point, but none of it is worthy of daily, or repeated use.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

As i said my troy bilt last me 5ish years in two 1/4 acre lots. Using a weedeater, blower, trimmer, and hedge trimmer. The clutch springs broke so the last two years i just left the springs out so it was direct drive. The fuel lines needed replaced but the universal ones from the mower shop were slightly to small so fuel would leak out of tank when tilted. The only fix was to order the whole tank assemble with fuel lines online. The hedge trimmer stopped cutting good and a sharpening at the shop didnt help it cut any better. The last thing that made me give it away was the pull assist assemble starting to malfunction.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
The fuel lines needed replaced but the universal ones from the mower shop were slightly to small so fuel would leak out of tank when tilted. The only fix was to order the whole tank assemble with fuel lines online.
Posted via Mobile Device
There aren't "universal" fuel lines. There are different sizes that fit different trimmers. Many use 3/32" x 3/16" but a few use smaller and some use larger sizes. If yours leaked you needed either different size fuel lines or a grommet to seal between the fuel line and the tank. Never seen one that couldn't be made to seal without buying a whole new tank assembly.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply guys

Assuming y'all guys read all my posts, so would it be better if I get stihl or husqvarna homeowner product instead?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Assuming y'all guys read all my posts, so would it be better if I get stihl or husqvarna homeowner product instead?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't follow what you're asking. Instead of what?

Get Stihl or Husqvarna instead of the cheap, residential stuff?

or

Get Husqvarna instead of Stihl?

Which are you asking?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Sponsor

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Pick which brand and model meet your budget and needs. Anything else you try to add is over think,kill. Make your investment based on the input you received from other members.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Both Stihl and Husky makes homeowner level trimmers. So I don't know if yall guys are saying a certain brand is junk or all big box store brands (exception to echo and husky commercial line) are junk.

...instead of big box store brands

Last edited by Trey T; 07-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I did pick a brand of pole saw but yall guys were still stuck on the subject. I'm not sure why it matters if one person choose a certain tool based on their need and get criticized. It's not like yall knew what I was using it for. All of yall ASSUMED that I used it for commercial. All you couldve done was ask.

yall guys clearly expressed that all of the big box store brands are junks. I assumed yall talked about brands like homelite, craftsmand, poulan, husky, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Pick which brand and model meet your budget and needs. Anything else you try to add is over think,kill. Make your investment based on the input you received from other members.
easy-lift guy

Last edited by Trey T; 07-20-2014 at 07:44 PM.