Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Light Bar Opinions

Ok so I am getting tired of having inconsiderate drivers driving past me way to close (to the point they are running over my cones at times) when I am parked off the road mowing someones yard. I know installing a light bar on my truck won't prevent someone from possibly running into my truck or worse me or one of my employees but it will definitely provide more attention then my hazards and 5 cones that I use.

I was originally set on getting an 27" LED Mini light bar and installing it on my back rack of my '05 f350 but then I saw a 47" directional bar that caught my attention.

The Pros of the Light bar I see is that it gives my flashing lights 360º around my truck where as the directional bar is only behind my truck. Might not be an issue majority of the times but I know a couple weeks ago I was at a church property delivering equipment, it should would have been nice to have the 360º at the time with all the people cutting through the parking lot (I've been hit before a couple years ago while in a parking lot and someone cutting through).

The Pros I see with the directional bar is that I can change the pattern to various directions to direct traffic around me along with setting it to a full on out flash pattern like the light bar.

I guess what I am asking is, what do you prefer or think is best option. Can't afford both at the time but have thought about the the directional bar along with 2 grill mounts in the front.

Would love to hear what you all use or your thoughts, sorry for the long post..

(Not exact products but give you an idea of what I'm talking about)
Light Bar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pshoNyupqUQ
Directional Bar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-a-p8FRlk
Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just get a lightbar with an integrated arrow stik? Something like this:

http://www.speedtechlights.com/produ...atid=4&id=1975

"Built in amber arrow stick
Arrow stick directions: right, left, center out, and 2 center 4 out
15 available flash patterns"

Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not convinced that the directional bar really helps with directing the traffic, just adds visibility from behind. You will be more visible with the light bar.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Ok so I am getting tired of having inconsiderate drivers driving past me way to close (to the point they are running over my cones at times) when I am parked off the road mowing someones yard. I know installing a light bar on my truck won't prevent someone from possibly running into my truck or worse me or one of my employees but it will definitely provide more attention then my hazards and 5 cones that I use.

The Pros I see with the directional bar is that I can change the pattern to various directions to direct traffic around me along with setting it to a full on out flash pattern like the light bar. get a lightbar and make the effort

I guess what I am asking is, what do you prefer or think is best option. Can't afford both at the time but have thought about the the directional bar along with 2 grill mounts in the front.
if your worried about getting rear ended why worry about grille lights.. ive seen attenuator trucks on our job sites with 4' by 8' flashing arrowboards get rear ended, so if your thinking a lightbar is gonna help I wouldn't count on it... a distracted driver is distracted and not looking...

and what about the liability of the traffic advisor when you have it on to the left and a driver head on's with another driver and they say I was just following the lights? I know its very highly unlikely but when you start "directing" traffic flow that's a headache you don't even want to be around
Old 07-07-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I would just get a regular light bar so it can be seen from every angle. That way people can see it from the front back or sides.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun View Post
if your worried about getting rear ended why worry about grille lights.. ive seen attenuator trucks on our job sites with 4' by 8' flashing arrowboards get rear ended, so if your thinking a lightbar is gonna help I wouldn't count on it... a distracted driver is distracted and not looking...

and what about the liability of the traffic advisor when you have it on to the left and a driver head on's with another driver and they say I was just following the lights? I know its very highly unlikely but when you start "directing" traffic flow that's a headache you don't even want to be around
Never thought about that last part there that you stated but the right there has me leaning towards the light bar.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know by adding a light bar or even lighting my truck up like a Christmas tree won't ever stop me from being rear ended or getting side swiped from someone, but I want to take all precautions in protecting myself and my employees.

Right now I'm leaning on the light bar for a couple of reasons, gives me visibility from all directions, allows me to hook it into my uplifter switches (I like the clean stock look with my trucks) and last will fit nicely on my back rack on my truck.

I do though like hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just get a light bar. If you have enclosed trailers put flashers in the turn circuit maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I put my cones out according the way the CDL test says to: one 10ft back and the other at 100-500ft. I'd like to think that after hitting my first cone the driver notices and has time to miss the second one and my truck/trailer. I also leave my hazards on.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the neighborhoods I cut in, that wouldn't really allow me to set up the cones in that way.

I just purchased an enclosed trailer so now it has me rethinking everything and how I'm going to lights on the truck/trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device