Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Sponsor

Wow, that's a brutal welcome but nonetheless true. If you don't have an issue talking to people, get over your issue about ringing doorbells. Particularly for services like this, people want to talk to the vendor face to face. So think of it as simply getting to meet those people. I'm sure you'll do okay once the blank door has been opened and there's a living human there.

Watch a 2-minute demo!

Email: ryan@mhelpdesk.com
Web: www.mhelpdesk.com
Phone: 888-558-6275

Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay albers View Post
try putting little flyers in a Ziploc bag, put some pebbles in the bag and throw them out your window onto driveway.

I always use a color flyer so there easy to spot.
Great idea. When you ride away on your Schwinn, make sure to honk the horn.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

No I have a truck I am 31
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321birdguy View Post
No I have a truck I am 31
Posted via Mobile Device
Face palm. So hard.

If you don't believe in yourself, you're business will never grow. Why would anyone say yes to someone that doesn't ask?

Your methods of reaching your target market are so far from affective...! Learn how to market before trying to gain customers. Or!! Work for someone else. Please.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I just started this year only have one reg chstomer
Han another I gave him up for non payment
Have had several one time mowings
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pass out 1500 post cards a day and you will have more work then you can handle
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really find it hard to provide any suggestions with so little information about YOU & YOUR business.

*Website - what is the URL (domain address) ?
*Name of Business ?
*Service Areas You want to cover ?
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
4 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to be a salesman in this business, the money wont walk up to you and jump in your pocket.

Personally, I dont like door to door salesmen and I have a sign on my door that says 'no agents, pedlars or solicitors' and when someone comes to the door selling something, I point to the sign and shut my door.

If you cant build up the courage to knock on doors, then pass out flyers and post ads on craigslist or the church bulletin board.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringahding View Post
I really find it hard to provide any suggestions with so little information about YOU & YOUR business.

*Website - what is the URL (domain address) ?
*Name of Business ?
*Service Areas You want to cover ?
Hallelujah!

OP, you really need to try interacting with your own thread, as it seems you're sitting back and waiting for the secret word to be given to you, unlocking the door to a cornucopia of customers. If your communication is this bad on here, it's understandable why knocking on the door terrifies you.

My suggestion, if you really want to make a go of this, is to run (don't walk) to your nearest community college and enroll in some form of public speaking class. This is a service business, which does rely on actual, human interaction to land customers.

Re: your attempted advertising methods, you need to look at it from the standpoint of "Where are homeowners looking for lawn service?". I know online marketing. I know that I have never once recommended anyone use, let along bank on, someone looking for a lawn service in a FB swap meet post. Save that for tires that have 18% tread left and Junior's old coffee can exhaust parts.

You have a website listed on Google, but I don't know what this actually means. Google recognizing your existence is quite different than being #3 organic results and #2 in the 7 Pack. As Ring points out, you're not giving people anything to work with. (Honestly, the way you're dragging this thread out with 1 sentence, vague answers has made me, more than once, question if this is just a bored troll post.)

Freebie publication ads are very hit and miss. If you can afford it, you can try using as part of your overall marketing mix, and if it doesn't work, kill it. Simply ask people how they heard about your business. Keep a log of this, even. It will help you as you go from year to year.

You have a Facebook Page. (side note: Please, for the love of God, don't venture into the General forum's "Let's get the Facebook Likes rolling..." thread. You'll end up worse off than you already are. You want legit, local, targetted Likes. Not a hundred Likes from fellow lawn care companies. --end rant) Facebook Pages, in and of their self, do very little for you. In fact, it's great for the link back to your site, but very, very, (very) few people utilize the Page well enough to bother with it beyond setting one up for the link and gaining an additional Google result.

What we've all now noticed is that all of your marketing methods seem to be passive, hoping the customer comes (or clicks) to you. That's a 100% recipe for failure. I would strongly consider going to the CC and finding a class or two that will help you, regardless of endeavors. Speech Class and an English/Writing class.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

go get a sales job. Nothing particularly exciting, but one that pays straight commission. You don't sell, you don't eat. You'll have someone to show you the ropes and you'll be motivated. If you're not naturally good at sales and you don't get experience, your business will only grow as fast as your sales skills. Which is usually so slow as to not be visible.