Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

If the person at the paper isn't picking up the phone and not calling you back then there is a problem.. Be persistent!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Heres a idea for ya!I always thought a hot female helper in jean shorts would allow me to get customers and charge a little more.Plus I wouldn't mind having her around all day.LOL.I bet your phone wouldn't stop ringing for your lawn cutting!Ha ha.I don't think my lady would let me hire her thou!LOL
Old 07-24-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

If I could only add employees
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't force it! They will come. Best way to do it is, T-shirts, lettered truck, and business cards. Conventional marketing is buckshot. WOM is the best way to do it.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-28-2014, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Listen if you seriously going to do the rocks in bag thing even though other suggestions like knocking on doors talking face to face would sell your services way better at the very least forget the rocks! Zip lock bag a flier or post card type advertising services you provide and a handful of grass seed instead of rocks. Flier can read....
Insecure guys lawn mowing
Services provided... Grass cutting, lawn and bed edging, shrub trimming, etc,etc

Spread the grass seed in struggling spots on your lawn. When you need a company that cares call
555-5555

Even tho the tossing a bag on a driveway as you drive by isn't the best method at least you won't look like some dink tossing rocks at a house! Now let go of my hand and get r done
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aside from the usual ways of getting customers, this year I found an extremely cheap and effective way of getting new ones. I found an ad online on a site similar to craigslist, its called Kijiji. I found an ad that a mother had put out for her kids looking to earn extra spending money, they were looking for odd jobs like dog walking or garage cleanup but one of the examples that she gave was 'flyer distributing' so I hired these kids and gave them 10 cents per flyer. My flyer was smalltime, it was a 4x6 made on microsoft word with my business card stapled to the corner. I gave each kid 200 flyers and their mother drove them to the more desirable neighbourhoods in their area and supervised them. It cost me $40 and I got 2 calls within the first week for weekly mowing. One person called me the day they delivered the flyers.... I gave them another 200 flyers the next week for a total investment of $60. I got a few mulch jobs and another mowing job. These new clients are totalling about $500/month for mowing and Ive also done a big mulch job for one of them already and a promise to do another for the same person next spring.

The most effective way ive gotten new jobs was through online marketing with Kijiji, on my ad theres a link to my facebook page where I have showcased some of my work this year, and thats also been somewhat effective.

I dont think I would ever go door to door asking if they want lawn care, that would waste too much time. Slip your flyer with a card into their door and wait for the phone to ring. Last year I made 500 flyers and I delivered them myself but this year I hired kids to do it.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
Aside from the usual ways of getting customers, this year I found an extremely cheap and effective way of getting new ones. I found an ad online on a site similar to craigslist, its called Kijiji. I found an ad that a mother had put out for her kids looking to earn extra spending money, they were looking for odd jobs like dog walking or garage cleanup but one of the examples that she gave was 'flyer distributing' so I hired these kids and gave them 10 cents per flyer. My flyer was smalltime, it was a 4x6 made on microsoft word with my business card stapled to the corner. I gave each kid 200 flyers and their mother drove them to the more desirable neighbourhoods in their area and supervised them. It cost me $40 and I got 2 calls within the first week for weekly mowing. One person called me the day they delivered the flyers.... I gave them another 200 flyers the next week for a total investment of $60. I got a few mulch jobs and another mowing job. These new clients are totalling about $500/month for mowing and Ive also done a big mulch job for one of them already and a promise to do another for the same person next spring.

The most effective way ive gotten new jobs was through online marketing with Kijiji, on my ad theres a link to my facebook page where I have showcased some of my work this year, and thats also been somewhat effective.

I dont think I would ever go door to door asking if they want lawn care, that would waste too much time. Slip your flyer with a card into their door and wait for the phone to ring. Last year I made 500 flyers and I delivered them myself but this year I hired kids to do it.
Knocking door to door is way more time consuming but has a higher return then fliers in return will make your routes tighter then online advertising. Not sure if kijiji crosses the border it is a .ca site but I'm sure if it doesn't there are plenty of sites south of the border that are the same. I only suggested the seed thing because the OP was only receptive to the rock bag idea after a few good ideas for advertising
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321birdguy View Post
yeah my problem is i probably can't handle them saying no if i knock
just put a flyer on the door and let them call you. i just do that and i got 8 yards from 240 flyers. if the door is open i knock and just hand them a flyer and say its a lawn service flyer and just walk away before they can say no. two people i have knocked on the door to kept the flyer and called me back. one read it later then chased me down the street to ask me if i could mow every month while he is gone doing road construction. i said yes. i've been mowing for them weekly for the last three weeks. i only just got the yard a couple weeks before that.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a good one for you...few years ago I was doing fliers as I worked up one side of a street I noticed an old guy in his window watching me cutting across people's lawns. When I got to his house he met me at the door saying," you know people don't like you walking across their lawn like that!" I quickly replied," actually people pay me to walk on their lawn" as I handed him a flier. Couldn't help myself
Posted via Mobile Device