Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2003, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Employee Soliciting

That good landscaper that sent me 35k in work the last 4 months asked one of my techs if he wanted a job! ( he just called just now to give me another 200 dollar repair, and he sounded congenial as ever!)

Anyway, the job paid 600 more per month and included truck/phone to take home. Now, this guy is a cocky individual, remember he sold his last company to Tru Green, so he has it on the ball. One of two things happened:

1- He was acting cocky and just bragging, being arrogant and didn't really mean it.

2- Maybe testing the integrity of my employee, or messing with him?

Either way, I don't like it too much, problem is he told my tech not to tell me and of course he did tell me right away.

If I confront this guy will it make me look good because I stick up for myself or will it make me look bad and make the tension grow between him and my employee, both resulting in lost work?

Help!

My gut tells me to take the guy to lunch when I'm in town and tell him how I feel. He is taken care of very well by me...of course...but maybe he wants to make the extra 150k per year????
Old 03-04-2003, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

although I agree with your feelings,if the guy wants to go else where how are you going to stop him.

with the landscaper business is business,do the work and also access quietly if the information is factual.

I have tried to keep my personal feelings to myself and run my business with the bottom line always in mind.You have a responsibilty to yourself and remaining employees to keep your business as profitable and viable as possible.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just because he offered him more $$ and a couple perks, doesn't mean the employee is interested. perhaps he told you about the offer because he is a loyal employee. ???

OR... he wanted to see if you'd make a counter-offer.

Obviously, this employee is gonna do what's best for him, not much you can do to stop him if he wants to quit.

As far as approaching the individual who made the offer... here's the way I look at the situation:
He does not know that you know about his offer. Keep it that way for now. You hold the cards on future dealings, BECAUSE you know he's willing to cut your throat, and he doesn't know that you know this.
Keep getting work fom him if it's profitable, why not make use of the guy?
On the same note, I wouldn't go out of the way to help him out much.

I hope this isn't too confusing, I just think it's better to not show your hand, especially when the other guy doesn't even know you're playing!

Lazer Z/HP 23HP Kawi, 52"
Ultra-Vac
Scag 48"/14HP Kohler Belt Drive WB
Stihl FS85r Trimmer
RedMax EB7000 BP Blower
ECHO PB750-T BP Blower
Little Wonder 8hp Blower
Echo CS3000 Chainsaw
6'6" x 12' open Trailer.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Navig8tor is right although service is service always do your best ,it is the landscapers customers who are getting the end result ,they deserve the best job possible.not the landscaper himself,it is these people who will praise your work or complain how bad your workmanship is

thanks

Andrew
Old 03-25-2003, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

First things first. Make sure he really made the offer.

You employee might be wanting to get a raise and some extra stuff.

If it is true. That is a fact of life....people always looking for something better. You have to have a solid number as to how much each of your employees is worth so that when something like this happens you know if you can give him the raise or not.
Something like this happened to me some time ago....had two brothers working for me (one was experienced and the other was a begginner) and a competitor offered one of them a job( the experieced one) with higher wages. He came to me and told me he wanted to see if I would counter offer. His brother also told me that he had been offered higher wages also. Since I knew how much each was worth to me....I told them that I could not offer either one of them any more.
A month later the experienced guy comes back into my shop asking for work with his brother. Turns out my competitor could not afford to pay him what he offered my worker....just like me. But I knew it before hand and my competitor did not.
Later I found out that the begginner was never offered anything and he had just jumped on the bandwagon trying to get a better paycheck. Even worse was the fact that for that month the begginer did not work at all. He really thought that he was going to get the raise. He did not plan on me letting him go.

Moral of the story: Know how much each employee is worth and stand your post.

Just my thoughts.
Adrian
Old 03-25-2003, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about it, your employee stayed and the guy is still sending you business looks like win win to me. If you ask the guy and he denies it are you going to believe him or your employee. If he can somehow prove that he didn't make the offer are you going to fire your employee for lying to you. If the employee can prove the offer was made are you willing to give up the work that the guy is sending you. I would just be thankful your employee stayed, not sure I would like the fact that he came running to me with an offer he doesn't appear to be interested in. Either way to pursue this would probably make you the only loser in the deal, either the extra work or the trust you have for the employee.