Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
I actually tried that last week on some hemlock stumps against a house foundation, it worked, but the forks were actually starting to bend alittle when I would presure them, and I know I would have broke the forks under alot of pressure. It is a good idea I think for certain shrubs and trees that don't have a thick root ball or stump. But will continue to try that method from time to time, thanks.
I wasn't sure if my Skid would push the forks in the ground but had no problem
I use them like a tree spade I don't try to lift to much mostly spading the roots Last one I did it on was a 12'' Bradford pear tree Spaded all sides and wrap chain around pop right out all was done in 15 mins Most of the time I would just grind it But my stump guy was busy I didn't want to wait

I did use them to dig a hole for a new tree work well for that

This my 2nd year having a Skid that can do more then my little skid never could do

Learning what I can use the Forks for
Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Glad they got it patched up for you
Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just keep trying showing me pics of that thing in action and maybe I will eventually look into one
Okey Dokey.

So today I'm down in Takoma Park where my friend has worked for the past 25 yrs. (happens to be a couple doors from Obama's Chief of Staff...McDonough) excavating a 22x40 spot for a screened porch/patio (plans were $9k to draw....pretty sick expensive). The Secret Service as usual come over and check the Gehl and Lackender out to make sure it's not a threat. We think it's going to be a simple dig, but run into a massive amount of old old footings (maybe a hundred years old or more) that were partially enveloped by a good sized stump right smack in the middle of where the footings go.

What if I didn't bring the Lackender? I'd have to rent a mini-ex to get this stuff out...more time, more costs. Worked like a charm. 1/2 hr. and it's all ripped out and tucked in the dumpster. Back to excavating the pad.

I'll get a vid one of these days. It's got a massive amount of ripping force.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I'm not so sure that is a Yew.
Those are without a question Yews.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe next time an excavator for something that large.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to add my 2 cents...... A word of caution when pushing anything (but especially forks) into the ground. I was recently on a job where a similar type bush was being removed, and just prior to the removal of the last bush it was discovered that the gas service line to the house was directly under the bush and only about 12-18" deep. If you were to put your forks down and hit the gas service (or even worse an electric service) you may not go home at the end of the day. I would guess most of the landscapers who would be doing this type of removal wouldn't have the foresight (no offense) to call and have the house or property marked for utilities. Just wanted to add that FWIW because I would hate to see someone get injured or killed. Interesting discussion and topic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Glad they got it patched up for you
Thanks bud! Yeah will see how long we can run it without breaking it again
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1250LC View Post
Just to add my 2 cents...... A word of caution when pushing anything (but especially forks) into the ground. I was recently on a job where a similar type bush was being removed, and just prior to the removal of the last bush it was discovered that the gas service line to the house was directly under the bush and only about 12-18" deep. If you were to put your forks down and hit the gas service (or even worse an electric service) you may not go home at the end of the day. I would guess most of the landscapers who would be doing this type of removal wouldn't have the foresight (no offense) to call and have the house or property marked for utilities. Just wanted to add that FWIW because I would hate to see someone get injured or killed. Interesting discussion and topic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you for the good advice. Every one should read this here, especially for any digging. Anytime I dig, I call PA one call, and have all the utilities marked out as I'm sure other guys on here do the same thing. But thanks as we all should be doing that before digging.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
Maybe next time an excavator for something that large.
For sure, I learned my lesson, and since then have rented a mini X a few times and now I understand why everyone likes the escavating buisiness haha
Old 08-19-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thank you for the good advice. Every one should read this here, especially for any digging. Anytime I dig, I call PA one call, and have all the utilities marked out as I'm sure other guys on here do the same thing. But thanks as we all should be doing that before digging.
I always call before I dig If I don't and I hit something my Insurance wont cover all of it