Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

2002 Ford F550 7.3 Failing Under Load

Our 2002 Ford F550 7.3 42k seems to have problems when towing heavier loads in mountains, it will be going right along and then you will loose all power for about 2-3 seconds, engine will almost stall and then continue to run again. You have to really stay off the the throttle to keep it from failing. The check engine light will turn on momentarily when it happens and sometimes it will turn on for a bit before the problem will happen. It never stays on long enough for me to go in and get the code checked however.

I don't really want to take it to the dealer, but my local guy was pretty confused about problem he changed fuel filter and a few basic things but nothing has helped.

Truck runs good rest of the time just under load towing hard it has an occasional freak out, trying to figure what it is!

No fancy chips or anything truck is stock with 4x4 and 9' dump bed.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Check codes but it could be (ficm) fuel injection control modulation on a 6.0 they are on drives idle valve cover and sould have 48 volt at the ficm.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtoxic View Post
Our 2002 Ford F550 7.3 42k seems to have problems when towing heavier loads in mountains, it will be going right along and then you will loose all power for about 2-3 seconds, engine will almost stall and then continue to run again. You have to really stay off the the throttle to
keep it from failing. The check engine light will turn on momentarily when it happens and sometimes it will turn on for a bit before the problem will happen. It never stays on long enough for me to go in and get the code checked however.

I don't really want to take it to the dealer, but my local guy was pretty confused about problem he changed fuel filter and a few basic things but nothing has helped.

Truck runs good rest of the time just under load towing hard it has an occasional freak out, trying to figure what it is!

No fancy chips or anything truck is stock with 4x4 and 9' dump bed.
Sounds like the high pressure pump is failing. Normal driving is fine, under hard high rpm load its dying out. I would definetly look into the pump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Does that mean the injection pump?

Mike
Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sort of. There is an electric fuel pump that should put out roughly 60 pounds of pressure. There is also a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) that pressurizes engine oil to fire the injectors. So in theory it could be considered an injection pump, but it doesnt work in the same way an injection pump does on other diesels.

The only way we can help you is if you get the codes off the computer. Go to any autozone/advanced auto, have them read the codes and post them here. To me it sounds like something relatively simple, but untill you get that code we are all clueless.

Oh, and FICM is completely unrelated. That is a 6.0 powerstroke issue, not 7.3.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
Sort of. There is an electric fuel pump that should put out roughly 60 pounds of pressure. There is also a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) that pressurizes engine oil to fire the injectors. So in theory it could be considered an injection pump, but it doesnt work in the same way an injection pump does on other diesels.

The only way we can help you is if you get the codes off the computer. Go to any autozone/advanced auto, have them read the codes and post them here. To me it sounds like something relatively simple, but untill you get that code we are all clueless.

Oh, and FICM is completely unrelated. That is a 6.0 powerstroke issue, not 7.3.
Good info Doug!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

The problem is the longest the check engine light stays on is typically a few seconds. Does the truck log that the check engine lights 'hits' that they can look at that with a scan tool or does the light need to be on when I take it in (that's what I thought)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtoxic View Post
The problem is the longest the check engine light stays on is typically a few seconds. Does the truck log that the check engine lights 'hits' that they can look at that with a scan tool or does the light need to be on when I take it in (that's what I thought)
It logs them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just outta wonder, have you cked your oil lately?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oil is good, otherwise it wouldnt run at all, since it uses oil to fire the injectors.