Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

late 90's early 2k mack tandems & tri's

Since gravel rat isn't around anymore I'll have to settle for the rest of you guys...lol.

We are getting to the point where we can keep a tandem/tri truck busy and notice a bunch of late 90's and early 2000's Mack Ch613. What can you guys tell me about the truck in general along with the E7 motor in them, absolute minimum would be a 400hp truck.

I came across a 99 with a 427hp E7, with 50k rears for 41k. It has 500k miles and a new 16' steel dump. (tandem truck prices have jumped in our area in the last couple years, this would have been a 30k truck)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 99 CH613 460 hp 18 speed with drop axle. I bought with 290K on it about 5 years ago. There have been a few electrical gremlins, one of the fuel injector pumps (each injector has its own) failed, other than that it goes to work every day. I would buy another Mack in this vintage.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would spend a little bit extra and get a tri axle. No body uses or hires tandems around here anymore. It is nice to carry the little bit more material. I recommend getting the camel back rear suspension on it. As soon as you go off the asphalt with it the camel back really shines.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can see the areas where the typical walking beam suspension gets "hung up " when in mud or loose material. I have really noticed lately with the wet weather and logging roads here lately being in poor condition how much better the camel back is. We are dragging the walking beam trucks in with a skidder , where the camel back trucks are driving in. The camel back is the first pic and walking beam the second.
Attached Images

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yea, i was definitely only looking into spring suspension rears due to the fact we would be using this truck in off highway conditions quite a bit. I did come across a lot of camel back trucks. The extra clearance does look like it would help.

What are you guys legally hauling in the tris? 12 yds dirt?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Camel Back with 44 rears and 14K front. I have a 16' heavy demo body with a high lift endgate. It is heavy (dump bed) and the truck is heavy. I can legally carry 14 ton here in Idaho. However that amount can vary by State. My truck runs out of bridge length, even with the drop axle. Some States are not as anal as Idaho. What you can carry will depend on what your State allows for.

I really like the Camel Back, rides nice (enough) and is great offroad.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You cant go wrong with a Mack, I know some guys hate them but I love them. I have had 5, the most recent being a single axle. The camelback suspension is great, any vocational truck is going to ride sort of rough, but with an air seat its not that bad. If you get an E7 or EM7 make sure it has a real jake brake, not a mack dynatard. My single axle has a dynatard and while its better than nothing its not all that good. Also, dont hesitate to buy one with an 8LL. The Mack transmissions are a little weird to shift, and the 6 speed gears are a little far apart. Make sure to keep us posted on how you are making out and post pics!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

whats the difference between the ch, cl and rd series? Also any comments on the mack motors? What to look out for, etc... I don't have a perspective as to how many miles is too many on a truck this size. Pickups I look for 70-100k, big SA trucks up to 200k, what about tandems with the larger motors?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

heres a link to the original truck i was talking about, it should read 50k rears not 58. 427hp e7 motor:

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...H613-112427119
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like a converted road tractor. Need to know front axle weight and how many speed tranny is.