Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets take this in a new direction. Does this truck have a fuel tank mounted behind the axle ? If so is it metal or plastic ? If its a metal tank then it has delaminated and is clogging the screen in the fuel pump which is mounted in the tank and also sending partials into the injection system .
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The filtration system on the 7.3 is good enough that those particles dont ever reach the injection system.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had that happen on plastic 6,0 tanks as well. One completely trashed the whole fuel system
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check for a ground problem, too. I've had that cause all types of problems on diesel engines.

My '08 loses power like that and when i look at the turbo pressure it's not reading anything. I pull over, restart, and it works. I've got an extended warranty so I need to get it in but last time Ford couldn't recreate the problem. Watch your boost pressure too.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Check for a ground problem, too. I've had that cause all types of problems on diesel engines.

My '08 loses power like that and when i look at the turbo pressure it's not reading anything. I pull over, restart, and it works. I've got an extended warranty so I need to get it in but last time Ford couldn't recreate the problem. Watch your boost pressure too.
VGT solenoid issue most likely. Get it in for warranty, if they tell you they can't re-create it they are FOS.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds stupid I had this in my 03 7.3 it was just the fuel filter
Don't know how but that's all my issue was
Old 07-22-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
The filtration system on the 7.3 is good enough that those particles dont ever reach the injection system.
If this were true then Ford owes me over 5 k back then . I had the original tank replaced by for d with a tank that was supposed to of had a different lining then that tank went bad a few yrs later and has now been replaced by a poly tank
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting thread....1. Not a boost leak, it would cause low power all the time. 2. I would look electrical, cam sensor, under valve cover harnesses, valve cover gasket plug. I am not sure if ford still sells a little plastic wedge that would tighten the connection between engine harness and valve cover gasket. 3. Fuel tanks arent really a problem, it is the foot on the pickup. there is a mixer valve on the pickup that aids in warming up the fuel and gets plugs and starts to suck air when less than a quarter of a tank. hutch mod fixes that. U also put an inline filter before pump, really helps alot. General maintenance google guzzle and 7.3, u may want to try powerstroke.org and dieslstop.com for your question. I would for sure be looking at the electric side of it
Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Interesting thread....1. Not a boost leak, it would cause low power all the time. 2. I would look electrical, cam sensor, under valve cover harnesses, valve cover gasket plug. I am not sure if ford still sells a little plastic wedge that would tighten the connection between engine harness and valve cover gasket. 3. Fuel tanks arent really a problem, it is the foot on the pickup. there is a mixer valve on the pickup that aids in warming up the fuel and gets plugs and starts to suck air when less than a quarter of a tank. hutch mod fixes that. U also put an inline filter before pump, really helps alot. General maintenance google guzzle and 7.3, u may want to try powerstroke.org and dieslstop.com for your question. I would for sure be looking at the electric side of it
Aready provided the link. Made me work my butt off fixing mine.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
I think you're kind of a fart smeller.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office