Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Handing over the reigns.

Alright fellas, I'm now going off to college due to I got a scholarship to be on a schools bass fishing team. My original plans were to attend community college, and grow my biz. Now, if I hand my business off to my brother in law, would it be too much for me to ask for maybe a 10 percent kick back of all profit, since I am essentially giving him the business? Thanks ya'll. any advice, tips, opinions are appreciated. GOD BLESS!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Sponsor

Quoting the OP "I got a scholarship to be on a schools bass fishing team", Incredible!, that aside I believe it would make more sense to have a valuation done on the business and have a payment plan set up say One down payment with x number of payments due every month and the final payment larger than all the rest to complete the transaction. If your getting out of the business to go to school close down your business like a business man would and sell out and move on. Otherwise your setting yourself up for problems that you don't need or want.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
Alright fellas, I'm now going off to college due to I got a scholarship to be on a schools bass fishing team. ]
Life.

Sometimes, it doesn't suck.

And still not rich

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm blessed for sure. My father wants to keep the business in the family. But as you said easy lift, it does seem like a lot of potential for problems for me if he doesn't do a good job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
I'm blessed for sure. My father wants to keep the business in the family. But as you said easy lift, it does seem like a lot of potential for problems for me if he doesn't do a good job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sell the business to your dad and let him run it as he sees fit. Just remember sell it and move forward.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Sponsor

You can get a scholarship to be on a schools bass fishing team? Thats amazing! I wish I would have done that. Congrats.

If you can trust them to run it well the 10% might work well. If you have any doubts you might be better off just selling it and be gone fishin. I guess it also depends on how many systems you have in place so someone can just step in and keep it going without learning too much.

-Landen

Watch our 14 minute Quick Tour Video

Have feedback for Jobber? Email or call me direct at 587-400-9852.

www.getjobber.com | landen@getjobber.com | 1-888-721-1115 Ext 114
Twitter: @GetJobber | Jobber on Facebook

Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Sponsor

I agree, I wish I could go bass fishin in college. These guys are right, you might be heading down a treacherous path with family, but come up woth a good number and get out. If it's a profitable business I'm sure you can come up with a number everyone agrees on. Good Luck!

TurfWizard
Tyler Walls
Sales & Marketing Executive
(203) 888-1903 Ext. 104
http://www.turfwizardllc.com
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have spent more time on the lake and less time hitting the books if I knew that. I will leave the Master Baiter jokes out

And by the way, if you have an actual business formed, make sure you get the necessary paperwork in order. Don't want him running your biz and have something go wrong, and they hold you responsible. I know its family and all, but its still important to observe the corporate formalities
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Give him the business and get out. Sell theequipment to him. No liability to follow you.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would completely sale the business. Otherwise you will be spending lots of time doing free favors. If landscape work is out of the picture for good, and no plans to return to the business after school, sale it.

You also might want to keep your options open in case school doesn't work out, can't find a job, etc and get a legal team to come up with some type of provision.

Whatever you do, do it above board. A lawyer and the SBA should be able to help you by recommending the necessary steps and people to involve.