Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaluchsLandscapes View Post
We use Real Green Software - so it's fairly easy to stay organized. Sprinkler Start Ups in the Spring get to be overwhelming with the volume that we do but we make it work.

I don't route my fertlizer guys because they do it theirself - and the invoices print out when the last time the last application was due so it's really not a big deal for that aspect.

I work long hours.. 7am-5pm Monday through Friday.

I have charts of when certain marketing materials needs to be sent out.

I am most def full time - my question is who here is big enough where they have 2 people in the office? And are you both busy at all times?
About 10 yrs ago we started installing ext controllers. Wish I did it 20 yrs ago as it makes start up season so much easier.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like you have it under control, but I'd need an envelope stuffing machine. That alone should free up a little time.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We use Real Green Software - so it's fairly easy to stay organized. Sprinkler Start Ups in the Spring get to be overwhelming with the volume that we do but we make it work.

I don't route my fertlizer guys because they do it theirself - and the invoices print out when the last time the last application was due so it's really not a big deal for that aspect.

I am most def full time - my question is who here is big enough where they have 2 people in the office? And are you both busy at all times?
Our controller is also our office manager. As the controller, she handles cash flow forecasts, AP, AR and managing financial relationships. She also manages a team of four administrative staff that do billing, scheduling, marketing, office supplies, technology....

During the season our office staff is at capacity. We have an unique situation during the winter where one admin wants to cut back hours and the other is out of the country and works remotely - works out well for us.

I feel your pain of being overwhelmed at times. In the past I haven't always recognized when an admin was getting totally overwhelmed - always ended in them quitting. I have gotten much better at recognizing the need for more support early enough that we don't have the attrition we once had in the office.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

we have two in the office year round
Three in the office during the "green season"
That doesn't include managers/estimators/owner.
just strictly office staff.

Yes, they are always busy.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I read somewhere industry average is one office girl per million in sales.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I can tell you that I am the only one that can schedule stuff.. print.. bill etc etc.. The owner could def do it if he had too but he is focused on other things such has work/estimates etc etc.

We have the owner and 10 employees including myself. Oh ya I also do all the deposits / banking. Forgot about that!

What do you pay your guys and what do you pay your office? I know that it will vary from company to company. We would like to see where are in comparison to others.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

We do hardscape / light excavation so we do $750k a year in sales and I do everything myself I might work 80-90 hour weeks (during peak season) but the extra $25k+ I have year for no office staff is worth it plus I am not dependent on an office person to run my company.

I setup myself for success; I have simple Quick-books payroll system, I have all my bills on Autopay with suppliers and credit cards, I can scan my checks on my smartphone to the bank (never go to the bank), I do my marketing, advertising and www/social media in off-season, I help an elderly neighbor with odd jobs in exchange for picking up my mail daily at the post office and signing for any packages and such.

I do have a new tax accountant since I did a big job for her we became close and we changed from LLC to S-Corp and she is worth it in my tax savings.

Sometimes I start to lose it with incoming phone calls I hate screening customers for good ones. Lately I don't answer any phone calls and let them all go to voicemail seems to work well but when your hungry for work you had better be answering with a kind voice by the 3rd ring

I really cant grow my company any larger due to no other help but I won't ever be screaming I'm screwed because my controller of 5 years just left me with no notice. No potential for growth is cool with me, I pick and choose my jobs and my staff as I don't need much. I am happy with how much I bring more than my fishing buddy who went to med-school and works as family physician and part time ER doctor.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh ya - re the envelope stuffing machine... we actually have the envelope licker / stamper machine. Thats saves SO MUCH TIME!!!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
I read somewhere industry average is one office girl per million in sales.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm.. I guess than seems close?

But I guess that would also depend on the mix of recurring work and one time work that made up that million.

There's a different load of work in the office for, renewing contracts, handling calls, and managing payment schedules for maintenance vs. contract administration and whatnot of say a landscaping division vs. snow operations.

We also have constantly moving water trucks and CDL dumps/side dumps all the time. That's almost a person devoted to that alone (and in many companies it is)
From what I've seen, companies that don't have a person deal with that aspect suffer. It's not a multi hat thing, IMO.
Not that Im in any way well versed in dump truck dispatch, but Ive watched enough of it to see, this isn't something you can do while landscaping, running your company and trying to hire employees in the never ending revolving door of our industry.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Hmm.. I guess than seems close?

But I guess that would also depend on the mix of recurring work and one time work that made up that million.

There's a different load of work in the office for, renewing contracts, handling calls, and managing payment schedules for maintenance vs. contract administration and whatnot of say a landscaping division vs. snow operations.

We also have constantly moving water trucks and CDL dumps/side dumps all the time. That's almost a person devoted to that alone (and in many companies it is)
From what I've seen, companies that don't have a person deal with that aspect suffer. It's not a multi hat thing, IMO.
Not that Im in any way well versed in dump truck dispatch, but Ive watched enough of it to see, this isn't something you can do while landscaping, running your company and trying to hire employees in the never ending revolving door of our industry.
We do more with less but I think that is because i am and my co is exceptional.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
office help , office manager