Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the issue is Rory doesn't have a counter part. It was always Jack vs Arnie , or Lee or Gary and then Johnny came. If you look at the interviews with the big four they were hungry back then. Purses were not that big and the last thing they worried about was if their shoes matched their out fit. Now the fields are a lot deeper, equipment neutralizes off center hits and the sponsor money is plentiful. Just compare the number of events per year that the big four played in their prime to what the stars of today play. But its still exciting to watch. Look at all the birdies Sergio strung together yesterday. Will be interesting to see what he backs it up with. I am thinking 68-70
Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ LawnSprinklerDrip View Post
So then just water the greens. But those get over seeded in Sept. /Oct. too. I am not a golfer so I really don't know the intricacies of it. One client I have lives on Wigwam GC, Another on Palm Valley GC. Another on Raven @ Verrado, I have seen 1 golfer in the last month
Many hardcore play early AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM

The facts are that there are more Millionaires and Billionaires than ever. The gap between the rich and poor is widening. Maybe the problem is with the Middle Class? The middle class and even the upper middle class don't have much money left over for luxury items and games after paying, taxes the mortgage/rent, fuel, groceries, retirement, child expenses etc. The cost of fun sure has gone up.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I sure would like to see Tiger get a good round in this weekend (assuming he makes the cut).
Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Tiger is going to be lucky just to get out of bed if he doesn't quit playing golf. He couldn't bend over to get his shoes off after the last tournament-- he dropped out because of back pain.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't watch the final round but Sergio must have collapsed or Rory got on a roll. Seems like the "old" guys, Tiger and Phil need to recoup and regroup.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Tiger is going to be lucky just to get out of bed if he doesn't quit playing golf. He couldn't bend over to get his shoes off after the last tournament-- he dropped out because of back pain.
Well look what he does in the evinings, and why he got divorced. No normal person could get out of bed. But were talking about tiger woods.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Well look what he does in the evinings, and why he got divorced. No normal person could get out of bed. But were talking about tiger woods.
He may have to give up that other "career" if he doesn't take better care of his back. There is a little back pain and then there is the debilitating, never ending severe back pain that requires heavy sedation. All his money won't fix that type of back pain. His quality of life will go down hill. Hard to give up something you love doing, but sometimes you have to face the reality of your situation.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
He may have to give up that other "career" if he doesn't take better care of his back. There is a little back pain and then there is the debilitating, never ending severe back pain that requires heavy sedation. All his money won't fix that type of back pain. His quality of life will go down hill. Hard to give up something you love doing, but sometimes you have to face the reality of your situation.
Wonder if he will give up the girls or golf?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
But look at Rory, he's got a moment here to take it and run with it. First, being in a relationship with an international level competitor, then breaking it off, then winning the Claret at the Open. I know he's not American, but he's using his position to perk up golf.

Dufner has his chance right now too. We need to elevate a few of these players to celebrity status to get the general public's attention back.

And we are about to see the game played out internationally at the Olympics. Certainly that will give the game a new look as well.
I don't know how you get "it". Jack had it and Tiger had it. 2 bigger than life players in my lifetime. Players that could attract non fans to watch and participate in larger numbers. I think they created "it" by playing almost to perfection more often than not. Jack was great at coming from behind with hot streaks. You could hear the gallery go crazy when he was on a roll.Tiger was great at dominating the entire game. Jack was more likable than Tiger in my opinion. I can't remember Jack having tantrums or lashing out at fans. He was always a class act. Why did Tiger attract fans better than Phil?
Basketball had Michael Jordon, for example, as someone who could really attract many people to the game who never watched before.
You just never know when a Super star will come along that has it. Rory maybe the one, who knows.. Why did MJ attract fans better than Larry Bird?
I guess it is the way you win they has something to do with it

Last edited by Charles; 08-07-2014 at 03:27 PM.