Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

At what point do you give up trying to make somebody happy

One of my mowing customers have one hell of a neighbor. The neighbor put up this giant probably at least 8ft tall fence along her property so it's not like me mowing the yard could bother her right? Wrong. Every week she comes over and whines to me about something. First time it was me parking my truck on the street, so now I back it into the driveway... Then she whines that I make too much noise too early (early being 9-10am on a Wednesday) so I alter my schedule and get there around 4-5pm.... This week she told me "by not bagging the yard your causing grass and weed seeds to become airborne and contaminate my yard. I think you should pay to have my lawn fertilized" meanwhile there's a big fence separating the two yards and you look at her yard and it's tore up due to her dogs. I just tried to keep from laughing and said "sorry that's not going to happen mam" started the mower again and kept on mowing before she could say anymore.... So my question is, how far will you go to make somebody happy before you reach that point that you don't give a crap any more?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say just ignore what she wants because from what you describe you aren't doing anything. I don't have anyone near my clients making requests like that but I would say just ignore and go on with your business.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go back to what you were doing and next time don't shut the mower off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm to that point now where I just don't have patience for her... Truck is going back on the street at 9am next week... Being a new guy I try to please everybody to make a name for myself but this woman is just over the top. I really have never seen anyone with that much time on her hands
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought this was going to be an unhappy customer, but since it isn't, the answer is simple:

Tell her to KYA.

For a definition of KYA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HEUEi2fVSA

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Keep the headphones on and don't pay her no mind.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm all about the customer service, but I wouldn't have done a single one of those things. I would nod, smile, hand her a business card so that she can call for an estimate, and fire the mower back up...at 9am.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Sponsor

^^Agree with everyone here. We make minor changes to actual customers if they have minor requests (cutting a certain way, or coming at a general time). But these are minor, if we can't do it we won't. A neighbor we would not even deal with lol. Especially when you are within complete reason of work hours and practices. We had a neighbor that complained we got her dogs to bark because of our machines, which woke her up. I apologized and suggested maybe training her dogs not to bark, and kept on mowin.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-25-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Why are you trying to please someone who doesn't cut you a check? Customer service is important, but taking crap from someone who owes you nothing is ridiculous. Now, on the other hand, there WILL come a time when you have a client who is impossible to please, regardless of what you do. There WILL come a time when you have to tell them to find another provider, and only you will know when. Customer service is important, and satisfaction is as well. However, when the satisfaction of one customer starts to cut into profits from the rest of your customers, it's time to move on. Just make sure to dot your "I's" and cross your "T's", and be more particular with your record keeping and conversation documentation than you are with your work. I will NEVER mow another yard, or landscape another property for which I don't have a written agreement for. When you get stiffed for a month's work, a verbal agreement or phone call is just hearsay, and won't do anything for you.

Gravely Pro-Turn 160Z
Stihl 130 Kombi-system
Stihl MS290
Holmes 6'10" x 14' 7k w/ 2' mesh sides
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireLTMower View Post
Why are you trying to please someone who doesn't cut you a check? Customer service is important, but taking crap from someone who owes you nothing is ridiculous. Now, on the other hand, there WILL come a time when you have a client who is impossible to please, regardless of what you do. There WILL come a time when you have to tell them to find another provider, and only you will know when. Customer service is important, and satisfaction is as well. However, when the satisfaction of one customer starts to cut into profits from the rest of your customers, it's time to move on. Just make sure to dot your "I's" and cross your "T's", and be more particular with your record keeping and conversation documentation than you are with your work. I will NEVER mow another yard, or landscape another property for which I don't have a written agreement for. When you get stiffed for a month's work, a verbal agreement or phone call is just hearsay, and won't do anything for you.
I try to keep neighbors of customers and employees of my commercial contracts happy in hopes of gaining their business, but at this point I wouldn't want to work for her anyhow cause she's too much of a pain... I've givin up a few jobs because it's not worth me being aggravated. When I first started out I mowed all public areas of a trailer park and it's snow removal. Totaled up to being around 7acres worth of mowing was a nice job. With all of the weedwacking it could keep three guys busy for a 10hr long day. I didn't sign it the next year though, couldn't stand all the people coming out and whining for every little thing and I kept getting stuff stolen from my truck which drove me crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device