Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes92395 View Post
I try to keep neighbors of customers and employees of my commercial contracts happy in hopes of gaining their business, but at this point I wouldn't want to work for her anyhow cause she's too much of a pain... I've givin up a few jobs because it's not worth me being aggravated. When I first started out I mowed all public areas of a trailer park and it's snow removal. Totaled up to being around 7acres worth of mowing was a nice job. With all of the weedwacking it could keep three guys busy for a 10hr long day. I didn't sign it the next year though, couldn't stand all the people coming out and whining for every little thing and I kept getting stuff stolen from my truck which drove me crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand, as I also have a few neighboring yards. Chances are though, if she's complaining, you're not getting hers. Doing something for someone politely once or twice is the right thing to do, but after that, they are just a pain in the a$$ and you should tell them to pucker up, in whichever way you see fit. The sad thing is that is just the world we live in these days. Nobody has any respect for anyone, and just about everyone is looking for a handout or something done free. If they can't figure out that I'm a business and not a charity, that's their problem.

Gravely Pro-Turn 160Z
Stihl 130 Kombi-system
Stihl MS290
Holmes 6'10" x 14' 7k w/ 2' mesh sides
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Sponsor

I try as well, but when the complaints border on almost hilarious, it's time to just give up. We had a lady mention to us that it was an "Ozone action day" and that we should not be cutting lawns today.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

She just wants your body!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Unfortunately you cannot please everyone. And while I applaud you for trying to be nice to the neighbor, it sounds like you are not going to be able to make her happy, short of not showing up to your client's home to mow the grass. And even then the neighbor would probably complain that you are slacking off and being lazy for not showing up to mow the grass.

So it really sounds like you are in a no-win situation here. It also sounds like you wouldn't want to have to deal with the neighbor as a customer anyways. So I guess I am with the other commentors here and say that the best thing to do is keep minding your own business on your customer's lawn and ignore the nosy neighbor.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yo no speakes ingles senhora.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
One of my mowing customers have one hell of a neighbor. The neighbor put up this giant probably at least 8ft tall fence along her property so it's not like me mowing the yard could bother her right? Wrong. Every week she comes over and whines to me about something. First time it was me parking my truck on the street, so now I back it into the driveway... Then she whines that I make too much noise too early (early being 9-10am on a Wednesday) so I alter my schedule and get there around 4-5pm.... This week she told me "by not bagging the yard your causing grass and weed seeds to become airborne and contaminate my yard. I think you should pay to have my lawn fertilized" meanwhile there's a big fence separating the two yards and you look at her yard and it's tore up due to her dogs. I just tried to keep from laughing and said "sorry that's not going to happen mam" started the mower again and kept on mowing before she could say anymore.... So my question is, how far will you go to make somebody happy before you reach that point that you don't give a crap any more?
Posted via Mobile Device
If ignoring her doesn't work.

I would tell her to stop bothering you.
Yup it's time to be rude.

Your 'mistake' was capitulating in the first place.
She is now seeing how far she can push you.

I would park back where I was always parking before, next time she says something:
"Special parking arrangements are $25, in advance, talking to me is $2 a minute, in advance, lawn fertilizer is double the going local rate in advance, any more questions? $50 per question plus my per minute rate, IN ADVANCE"
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
I try as well, but when the complaints border on almost hilarious, it's time to just give up. We had a lady mention to us that it was an "Ozone action day" and that we should not be cutting lawns today.
I would tell her it was national chocolate éclair day, and she should bring you one.... now run along and don't come back until you have my éclair.

Edit in the same sentence, Id ask her who gave her shoes?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I try to keep neighbors of customers and employees of my commercial contracts happy in hopes of gaining their business, but at this point I wouldn't want to work for her anyhow cause she's too much of a pain... I've givin up a few jobs because it's not worth me being aggravated. When I first started out I mowed all public areas of a trailer park and it's snow removal. Totaled up to being around 7acres worth of mowing was a nice job. With all of the weedwacking it could keep three guys busy for a 10hr long day. I didn't sign it the next year though, couldn't stand all the people coming out and whining for every little thing and I kept getting stuff stolen from my truck which drove me crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Doing things to make neighbors happy is not a bad thing no matter what anyone here says about people who aren't writing them checks. You can even do nice things for people you know will never hire you - it's called being a decent human being.

That said, I think you know that this woman isn't worth your time. Ignore her - there's no need, or reason to be ignorant to her - just ignore her.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
One of my mowing customers have one hell of a neighbor. The neighbor put up this giant probably at least 8ft tall fence along her property so it's not like me mowing the yard could bother her right? Wrong. Every week she comes over and whines to me about something. First time it was me parking my truck on the street, so now I back it into the driveway... Then she whines that I make too much noise too early (early being 9-10am on a Wednesday) so I alter my schedule and get there around 4-5pm.... This week she told me "by not bagging the yard your causing grass and weed seeds to become airborne and contaminate my yard. I think you should pay to have my lawn fertilized" meanwhile there's a big fence separating the two yards and you look at her yard and it's tore up due to her dogs. I just tried to keep from laughing and said "sorry that's not going to happen mam" started the mower again and kept on mowing before she could say anymore.... So my question is, how far will you go to make somebody happy before you reach that point that you don't give a crap any more?
Posted via Mobile Device
The customers neighbor reads like she is very lonely and miserable.
Since she continues to make contact with you personally you may be the only contact she has with the outside world. As long as your in the service industry
you will have more examples of this same person many more times.
Being rude or obnoxious to her will not help the situation. Remember your there to maintain your customers grounds, not hers. Unless she chooses to involve your customer in any future conversations my advise would be to remain professional and never lower yourself to her level.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-26-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is all about what is reasonable.

If you were blocking her driveway and she asked you to move, or if you were firing clippings into her yard and she asked you to stop, those are reasonable requests. You need to do as she asks.

Is parking on the street reasonable? If it is, then continue to part there. Is mowing at 9AM on a Wednesday reasonable? If so, continue at 9AM. Is causing clippings to be airborne reasonable? If it is, then let them fly.

Once you cave to an unreasonable request, then she will perceive that you are weak and will push for more and more unreasonable changes to your behavior. Next time you see her, give her a huge smile, wave excitedly, then immediately turn away and keep working. Ignore her. She is a crazy person.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax

Last edited by hackitdown; 07-26-2014 at 09:18 AM.