Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
It is all about what is reasonable.

If you were blocking her driveway and she asked you to move, or if you were firing clippings into her yard and she asked you to stop, those are reasonable requests. You need to do as she asks.

Is parking on the street reasonable? If it is, then continue to part there. Is mowing at 9AM on a Wednesday reasonable? If so, continue at 9AM. Is causing clippings to be airborne reasonable? If it is, then let them fly.

Once you cave to an unreasonable request, then she will perceive that you are weak and will push for more and more unreasonable changes to your behavior. Next time you see her, give her a huge smile, wave excitedly, then immediately turn away and keep working. Ignore her. She is a crazy person.
Then the neighbor in turn will call the police or sheriff and file a complaint of harassment. Ignoring her like you said is good advise. Anything more could be considered harassment by the police.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I once had my client come out back to tell me something as I was finishing up.

Her: "Mr. Crabass from across the street called me to complain about you parking in front of his house, so just park next door next time you come."

Me: "Oh, I hope I didn't put anyone out by taking their parking spot - I've never seen a car parked on the street there before, so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem."

Her: "No, they park in the driveway - he just likes to complain about things." (said with an eye-roll)

Me: "No problem - don't want to cause issues for you."

When I was loading the mower to leave the neighbor waked out...

Him: "Hey, why do you have to park here - why don't you park in front of HER house?"

Me: "She asked me not to park here in the future and it won't happen again."

Him: "OK, but I don't understand why you don't park in front of HER house."

Me: "Well, I certainly wouldn't park in front of you house if I were mowing YOUR lawn because I wouldn't have room to work."

I then walked to the truck as he stood there shaking his head at my explanation.

The point is that I now park in front of the house next to my client instead of across from my client to ease friction for my client, but if there's nowhere else to park one day, you can be sure I'll be parking right in front of Mr. Crabass' house.
Oh, and the guy at the other house even tells me to block his driveway if I want to get closer to my client's lawn. LOL
Old 07-26-2014, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Then the neighbor in turn will call the police or sheriff and file a complaint of harassment. Ignoring her like you said is good advise. Anything more could be considered harassment by the police.
easy-lift guy

waving to someone who trespasses on neighbors property to talk to you every week is harassing?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you might just be using an expression, but you cant make someone happy . People influence eachother, but we determine our own response.
Trying to be kind, and professional is important. Sometimes there are people who have problems, or who are unhappy, and they want others to experience the same thing, they want to share it. This sounds like such a person. Just follow the law. Here we can start mowing at 7. So 7 is fine. If its legal to park on the street, its fine. With people like this I try not to indulge their problems. Sorry you had to experience this, and pray that lady can solve her problems and be a happy person.
Good luck
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
waving to someone who trespasses on neighbors property to talk to you every week is harassing?
Try reading the reply that I was replying to from the beginning to the end.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Agree with most people here. Unless you were blocking her driveway or it is illegal to park on the road then I don't see a problem. Unless you are blowing a bunch of clippings in her yard I wouldn't bag. Just offer to bag if she pays for it. We once had a property where we would gather the leafs up in a pile and burn them on the guys burn pile. While we were doing that the lady next door and came and said "if you guys catch my property on fire you are going to be in big trouble". My response was "if that happens call the police and we will settle it". She didn't really like that response and said "we always get a bunch of trash and stuff that blows from his yard and it always looks so bad". So then I tell her "I can't help the direction that God makes the wind blows, but if you are willing to pay for us to clean up more of his yard we will be happy to do that". I could tell that really pissed her off. A few minutes later her husband came down on his property and just started at us the entire hour we were there. I wish I had nothing to do but stare and watch a couple guys work.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't read all the posts yet, but usually in these threads will be at least one newbie or general moron saying something along the lines of "kill her with kindness you may pick up her home for a service." True, you shouldn't be obnoxious to people for no reason, and you've handled everything the exact way I would have. Be a nice guy, and usually these things tend to work themselves out. Sometimes people just have a bad day, you give them the benefit of the doubt, and move on, with a smile on your face.

However, some people are just wretched, and she is just bitching because it's as natural to her as breathing. You don't ever want her as a customer, because if she's this big of a pita she will only be worse working for her. So now, you just ignore her, keep mowing, wave when she tries to flag you down, and when you're finished, just drive away.

The truth is, your customer probably can't stand her. Always be nice to the neighbors, but some people are just unreasonable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by PenningsLandscaping; 07-28-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

shoot, I just tell neighbors its a public street, call the cops when they ***** about my parking.

they get pissy and go away then
Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Sponsor

I love the variety of answers ranging from try to comply to their wishes and mind your P's and Q's to lifting up your shirt and show them the piece you carry and to &()$* off lol.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
I love the variety of answers ranging from try to comply to their wishes and mind your P's and Q's to lifting up your shirt and show them the piece you carry and to &()$* off lol.

That's what I was thinking too lol
Posted via Mobile Device