Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 PM
ilike2mow's Avatar
ilike2mow ilike2mow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 450
Stihl Dealers vs. Ace Hardware?

I went to buy a Stihl shaft mounted hedge trimmer and went to the Ace hardware. Darn thing wouldn't start. Would I have had better luck at the actual Stihl dealer?
__________________
Honda HRR216VKA Mower
Honda HRS216SDA Mower
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
rlitman rlitman is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,099
Yes. For an Ace hardware to qualify to become a Stihl dealer, they must have a Stihl certified tech on staff. But that doesn't mean the guy is full time, and generally the hours at I'm at Ace, there are no people in the store who know how to deal with Stihl equipment (although there's almost always one person trained to write up a Stihl sale).

I'd expect you to talk to someone competent any time you show up at a dealer, or else find a better dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,476
Most times they tell you leave it and pick it up 3 wks later ,Stihl guy might look at it fast and find a minor problem and fix it.
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Yes. For an Ace hardware to qualify to become a Stihl dealer, they must have a Stihl certified tech on staff. But that doesn't mean the guy is full time, and generally the hours at I'm at Ace, there are no people in the store who know how to deal with Stihl equipment (although there's almost always one person trained to write up a Stihl sale).

I'd expect you to talk to someone competent any time you show up at a dealer, or else find a better dealer.
It's the same thing in a different store

There is no difference between buying it at a dealer or ace.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 PM
xstatikplus xstatikplus is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: toronto ontario
Posts: 281
99% of big box stores are incompetent and know nothing about any product on their shelves. Can't expect more for minimum wage
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,520
Ace is hardly a big box store.

They are sthil authorized. Most have an entire showroom with dedicated employees. They carry the entire line. Not homeowner junk
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM
xstatikplus xstatikplus is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: toronto ontario
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Ace is hardly a big box store.

They are sthil authorized. Most have an entire showroom with dedicated employees. They carry the entire line. Not homeowner junk
Posted via Mobile Device
Was running under an assumption. Ace is not in Canada as far as I know
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilike2mow View Post
I went to buy a Stihl shaft mounted hedge trimmer and went to the Ace hardware. Darn thing wouldn't start. Would I have had better luck at the actual Stihl dealer?
Does Stihl not honor their warranty through places like ACE and be able to take to it full dealer for service?

Echo does
__________________

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)



All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM
ilike2mow's Avatar
ilike2mow ilike2mow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Does Stihl not honor their warranty through places like ACE and be able to take to it full dealer for service?

Echo does
It was a brand new trimmer off the shelf and it wouldn't start. I thought I would try a stihl and see how it is but the brand new trimmer wouldn't start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 PM
ETM's Avatar
ETM ETM is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilike2mow View Post
It was a brand new trimmer off the shelf and it wouldn't start. I thought I would try a stihl and see how it is but the brand new trimmer wouldn't start.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hate my stihil edger its a pain to crank. Everyday it wants to change the ways its cranked. Used stihl blowers 15yrs ago and had the same problem and swore them off but thought we would give them another try. My mistake and wont happen again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.06866 seconds with 7 queries