Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the best place to buy Stihl around here is John Deer. They are authorized ere and nothing like walking in JD around here compared to the dealers. They don't try and push sells when you walk through the door, they are informative only when you ask for it, and service is great.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I found the best place to buy Stihl around here is John Deer. They are authorized ere and nothing like walking in JD around here compared to the dealers. They don't try and push sells when you walk through the door, they are informative only when you ask for it, and service is great.
Same with my dealer they are huge 3 Ag Green Dealers moved into 1 from all around.

I don't think I will be wasting money on Stihl any time soon though see so many issues out of them from everywhere, people say it's because everyone uses them well no they don't lol

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You see "so many issues" because sthil outsells echo. More products = more issues
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe my ace is the biggest Stihl dealer in VA. Never a problem getting service. Less than 3 miles away and know me by name. John deer is about 3 miles from the ace and they have limited selection compared to the ace. You are never more than 10 miles away from a Stihl dealer in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Does Stihl not honor their warranty through places like ACE and be able to take to it full dealer for service?
You're typically going to get better service from whoever sold it rather than just going to any dealer for warranty work. Some dealers have been known to put warranty repairs for items not purchased there at the bottom of the list while those who buy all their power equipment there get put at the top of the list.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

not true, what dealers do is they do the work and send the bill for hours and labor minus parts to the dealer. you didnt think they ate the cost did you? i have stihl chainsaws, arborist saws, 110 and 130 weedeaters, edgers ets. i never have any trouble starting mine do you use the choke properly? hold the trigger down when you pull it till it cranks, turn choke lever down and off you go.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Cub Cadet combo Better deal I'm going try My son 's wife works at TSC and I got discount plus I bought the 2 year replacement They said if it breaks they don't fix it They just give me a new one So I'll try it
Its prowerful 27cc 2 stroke Edges nice lots of power in over grown edges This week will try on some Shrubs
Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ace stores are ind owned and can sale whatever they like. You get the same service wherever you decide to go. I dont know why so many guys say you get better service wherever you originally buy. Maybe you live in a 2 dealer state where the owner puts you in the back of the line bc you bought a weedeater 2 years ago from a different store.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I'd base my choice by the individual store. Some ACE Hardware stores I've been in were the top woodworker, small engine, best paint store around the county. Others little more than a kiosk that would take your order and offer zip in service. Same for stocking dealers.

Walk in and get a feel for a place before spending a chunk with them.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You see "so many issues" because sthil outsells echo. More products = more issues
Posted via Mobile Device

You could be right, but my way of thinking, I would think you're wrong unless you showed me factual evidence wise. (I) believe Echo out-sells Stihl by a long-shot. I walk in HD and see 2-3 people buying Echo's at a time. Yet, I don't believe the hype about Echo's being better then stihls either. I'm currently in the process of switching everything over from Echo to Stihl. Don't get me wrong, Echo makes some good products. I like their older models, but their new stuff with the junk carbs. isn't for me. I've had 3 Echo trimmers to date, two blowers, and one edger. Every single one of them has carburetor issues or always needing tuned with the exception of the edger.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.