Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Just plumb in a hose bib for priming. Hose x hose female adapter for connection.
Posted via Mobile Device
I previously tried that. While it worked it took a while to get going, seemed like there would be air locked between the pump and pond and didn't want to prime
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I previously tried that. While it worked it took a while to get going, seemed like there would be air locked between the pump and pond and didn't want to prime
I can't have nuttin nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I previously tried that. While it worked it took a while to get going, seemed like there would be air locked between the pump and pond and didn't want to prime
did you fill it with a garden hose while leaving one port open for air to escape?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
did you fill it with a garden hose while leaving one port open for air to escape?
Everything was froze up (rusted) so I couldn't. More less why I'm redoing everything.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,810
You should really lose the non-galvanized nipples and fittings, if you are doing it all over. That's a material that doesn't belong in a sprinkler supply. (note that you cannot find any water friction loss tables for that specific material)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
You should really lose the non-galvanized nipples and fittings, if you are doing it all over. That's a material that doesn't belong in a sprinkler supply. (note that you cannot find any water friction loss tables for that specific material)
Was going to replace with PVC. Do you think I should do differently, if so why.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Was going to replace with PVC. Do you think I should do differently, if so why.
Yes , galvi or even better brass . PVC isn't designed to take the heat from a pump.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Was going to replace with PVC. Do you think I should do differently, if so why.
PVC threaded into the pump on the suction side could be a mistake. Too easy to get a suction leak there after some expansion and contraction cycles.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 PM
WaterWerks WaterWerks is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Freehold,NJ
Posts: 10
In order to prime pump you need a priming pot, and a check valve to hold water at the far end of hosing. Unless the pump is below the water line. Also using any metal (besides Stainless Steel) is never good in an ornamental fish pond. I use Flex PVC to limit the number of connections from suction to pump, the less the better and less chance for air to enter.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 PM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWerks View Post
In order to prime pump you need a priming pot, and a check valve to hold water at the far end of hosing. Unless the pump is below the water line. Also using any metal (besides Stainless Steel) is never good in an ornamental fish pond. I use Flex PVC to limit the number of connections from suction to pump, the less the better and less chance for air to enter.
There is a foot valve on the intake. Describe this priming pot if you don't mind
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.07040 seconds with 7 queries