Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2000, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I hate to admit anything about osha being a good thing, but at work, we are required to have a extiguisher on every gas piece of equipment, even walkbehinds technically (thats not enforced though). We have them on all our groundmasters, tractors, mules, etc.

I guess it does make sense after hearing all this........

steveair
Old 09-06-2000, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowed,
Your comment is the last I'd expect to hear from a fireman. They must keep you at the truck operating the pump . While I've been in a few scary fires, I would say that I'm not afraid of, but certainly have a great respect for fire. You of all people should know what fire can do, and I wouldn't expect you to chastising anyone who is afraid of it. I wish I had more fear of it, because I have, & I know during the future will, put myself in harm's way by not having a lot of fear of it. Relating to this thread, I lost my first (and unfortunately only) plow truck to fire (heater fan) during the Blizzard of 96. Always have back up equipment!!
Old 09-06-2000, 01:39 AM
Millenium Member

That's funny Ed! I have 2, one at the side and rear doors.
Old 09-06-2000, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gents,
I guess my post above didn't go over the right way. Mayby you missed the inflection in my voice.

I have nothing but respect for fire. I have seen firsthand the devistation that it can cause.

I have spent much of my professional career as a firefighter and my question is one that I want people to ask themselves. It is a question that is meant to provoke more questions and hopefully educate.

Don't take it lightly - ask yourself Why you are afraid of fire?
Then you will start to think in the preventive mode?
Many occurances of fire are accidental, in other words you didn't want the result to be a fire but you didn't know that a fire would occur. Its something you have to think about and not learn by on the job experience.

So my question is not a smart a** comment and I ask everyone to think about it again, Why are you afraid of fire? Then go on to always think HOW can I prevent it.

Stay Safe.