Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Oh sure, I'm not saying the Timemaster/Turfmaster is the perfect mower - it has it's limitations as does any mower, but that's for a different thread.

For my purposes though, it's been a blessing, and I can't see a reason why someone couldn't do well using a 21" and/or 30" mower as was posed by the OP.

OK, sorry. Maybe I jumped on you too quickly. For the purpose of this thread, I completely agree. The 21"/30" model is completely feasible for some clientele/regions.I will agree that it has been a blessing for me as well-it has pretty much parked the 36", and at a much lower cost of ownership. Again, apologies if I took your comment out of the context of this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
been thinking hard about scag 32" belt drive lately too.

but the price is nearly double of a 30" and we go back to having to train guys to use them instead of just walking behind them on day one.
But how are the 30" trans holding up ? I have not looked at the Scagg belt drives but would assume they are similar to my 44" Toro.On a couple of my lawns I have been more efficient with the 44" walk behind vs the 61 " ztr.Was hoping to tighten my stops up to 1/4-1/3 acre lots in one development.That seems to be the best for me.

Also been thinking of dropping to a 1/2 ton 8 foot bed truck with a custom hitch mtd carrier for a 36" walkbehind.That way the bed can be used for a 21" mower and baggers along with clippings.Also a rack for blower and weed trimmers.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to by a 30" done a little research but whats your opinion toro turf master or exmark 30
Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another big factor that favors the 30 is qoc on uneven ground. A 32-36 wb is long and prone to scalping when bridging front to rear. The 30's are idiot proof in that respect. Ferris' hydrocut is the exception with timed blades
Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I mow a property that is a 1/2 acre and i do it with 2 21s in 35 mintues. I would like a exmark 30 or 32 metro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobcammack View Post
I mow a property that is a 1/2 acre and i do it with 2 21s in 35 mintues. I would like a exmark 30 or 32 metro.
Posted via Mobile Device
You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes.
Just shaving a few passes off each section of a lawn adds up over a day.
I have a few properties with little strips of grass between the sidewalk and the street and I used to have to go "up" and "back", but now I can cut the whole width in one pass, and move on.

I assume a commercial 21" is faster than my Toro SR4, but I can tell you the ground speed of the TimeMaster is a lot faster than the SR4.

While every lawn is different, I'm seeing a 10-15, and occasionally 20 minute savings in time per job vs the 21". Considering that the rest of the time spent trimming/blowing remains the same, that time saved can all be attributed to the wider deck and faster ground speed.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Another big factor that favors the 30 is qoc on uneven ground. A 32-36 wb is long and prone to scalping when bridging front to rear. The 30's are idiot proof in that respect. Ferris' hydrocut is the exception with timed blades
I've never had an issue with my old 34, my old 36, nor my new hydro 36 with scalping. Not once (NEVER) scalped anything with any of them. I'm sure they will but imo you'd have to be pretty carelessly mowing to scalp with the 36. Now the 54" that's a different story. Seems like if you don't know the lawn and the un-even areas, you'll scalp everything in site.

I just got rid of my 30". The 30" was nice for push mowing jobs where you have retaining walls and etc. The 30" wasn't much slower then my 36" walk behind (belt drive.) But you can't compare a 30" in no-way to a 36" hydro. The 36" hydro will out-mow the 30" then do circles and be on the neighbors lawn before that 30" has a chance to finish. Over-all I loved the 30" just found no need for it anymore after the 36 Hydro was added. Before I had trouble going everywhere with that 36" belt drive, I can go anywhere that 30" would go with the hydro as long as I fit width ways.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes.
Just shaving a few passes off each section of a lawn adds up over a day.
I have a few properties with little strips of grass between the sidewalk and the street and I used to have to go "up" and "back", but now I can cut the whole width in one pass, and move on.

I assume a commercial 21" is faster than my Toro SR4, but I can tell you the ground speed of the TimeMaster is a lot faster than the SR4.

While every lawn is different, I'm seeing a 10-15, and occasionally 20 minute savings in time per job vs the 21". Considering that the rest of the time spent trimming/blowing remains the same, that time saved can all be attributed to the wider deck and faster ground speed.

It's all about the number. I agree it's all in the ground speed or how much ground you cover in x amount of time. The wider the deck the more ground you are going to cover unless you get so big you have issues fitting. I've yet to find a gate my 36" wouldn't fit through with the exception of one community with tiny iron gates.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I've never had an issue with my old 34, my old 36, nor my new hydro 36 with scalping. Not once (NEVER) scalped anything with any of them. I'm sure they will but imo you'd have to be pretty carelessly mowing to scalp with the 36. Now the 54" that's a different story. Seems like if you don't know the lawn and the un-even areas, you'll scalp everything in site.

I just got rid of my 30". The 30" was nice for push mowing jobs where you have retaining walls and etc. The 30" wasn't much slower then my 36" walk behind (belt drive.) But you can't compare a 30" in no-way to a 36" hydro. The 36" hydro will out-mow the 30" then do circles and be on the neighbors lawn before that 30" has a chance to finish. Over-all I loved the 30" just found no need for it anymore after the 36 Hydro was added. Before I had trouble going everywhere with that 36" belt drive, I can go anywhere that 30" would go with the hydro as long as I fit width ways.
I've never scalped with our 36, 48, 52, 60, 61, or 72 inch machines but my employees have with all of them haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bet dollars to donuts you will not see a mower bigger than a 21 on Bill Gates lawn n'at!