Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey all..

Some more info.

Just potted plants some 20,40, 60 and what im guessing is 100 gallons..
Its all potted. There is a floating deck blocks which I'm told are easily managed.
We are thinking about using 6 mm drip line.. Has anyone used it before?
I really want to try and not use shrubblers. What would you all use as a feed pipe 1/2 pvc or netafim?
Will the netafim hold up to the heat with emitters punched in or brains used?

We are going to zone according to pot size and species needs.

Green IA- Can I contact you via text or phone sometime and pick your brain a little?
Mitch- Those pics are fin sick brotha

Love CSR
Old 08-03-2014, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

We have done a few big roof top gardens, and are about to finish our biggest one this week. If it's pots I would use the 6mm Netafim miniscape and loop it around a few times. Depending on where the pots are, try and drill a hole and get a pvc conduit in from underneath before the soil goes into the pots so there are no pipes dangling into the pot which will be yanked at by the first kid that walks past, or chopped by gardeners depending on what plants are going in. Once the conduit is in you can feed 6mm poly through to the Miniscape from the feeder pipe. We normally use 1" poly.

If you are irrigating planter boxes on the rooftop make sure the row spacings are no more than 12". The soil is usually pumped in and so is a very light mix that holds very little water. The water runs straight through so if your rows are not close enough you will have a hard time getting the plants to establish. It's normally windier on the roof as well so minimise sprays. We still use sprays for turf and vegetable plots though. We use Netafim Techline for the open planter boxes.

I will post some pics this coming week of my jobs. They can be labour intensive so make sure you allow for that when pricing it, as well as the extra time involved to go up and down every time you need something. My current project is on the 6th floor so lots of walking up and down as the hoist has been pulled down and the lifts take ages.
You also have to work in with the landscapers, so you may have to go there often to do a small amount of work. As they lay the bricks for each area for the planter boxes, we have to come in and get our mainline/cables/lateral lines in for that areas before the drainage cells and geo-textile fabric are put in. Almost every second day to do 2 hours work to make sure everything is where it should be, otherwise you're in for a lot of digging. Most of the planters are 2 feet deep. You also have to alow for extra joins in the mainline as the sequence it is built results in doing sections away from each other.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Auto flow.

I'd love to see your pics .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
Auto flow.

I'd love to see your pics .
Posted via Mobile Device