Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

am i making a mistake

i hand out flyers that have prices for biweekly and weekly cuts and almost everyone that has called me has went to biweekly service instead of weekly. should i skip out on biweekly prices and just put prices for weekly service. i really feel like most people see the biweekly service is cheaper over the course of the month and go with it instead. my last employer had almost every yard on weekly service. i just need to make more money then i am. if every yard went to weekly id be able to pay my insurance, rent and buy a new car every year or pay for maintenance. now i make just enough to pay my insurance and eat.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't put any price on a flier myself
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Stop flat rating yards and start bidding them at different rates. I talk most people out of biweekly. I tell them that here is a service charge for having to deal with the extra long grass. They hear "costs more per time" and they opt out right then and there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 AM
Sponsor

Yes you are making several mistakes. I actually astonished about the number of members on this site that are willing to work twice as hard for 1/2 the money by mowing every other week?. You have stated that your old boss offer weekly service, follow his lead. Second advertising your prices for one size fits all lawn mowing services make nearly as much sense as saying I will mow your lawn for $5.00 and than start charging for all kinds of other services until you make enough to move on to your next account. Your mowing season is not as long as our mowing season here in the SW. Why would anyone be willing to work half the time just to be scrambling to find other things to do when your competition is smart enough to work full time for your market share?
easy-lift guy
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stop offering Biweekly on advertising. Don't post prices. What's the difference between your weekly and biweekly pricing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you must offer biweekly, make sure the price is inflated by about 50% of your weekly price. People do want to save money and dont care about your equipment having to work harder or get replaced sooner or that it takes you longer to cut, trim and clean up. They care about their bottom line, and you should care about yours. DOnt offer biweekly cuts in the spring or fall, maybe tell them that service is only available in the hot dry weather when the grass doesnt seem to grow much. And forget about it if they appear to fertilize or water their lawns, youre asking for trouble
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've gone to just offering every 10 to these people, less stress on my equipment and unlike others I have no scheduling issues. But that isn't for everyone, the way my routes are set up it's not an issue, and I would never do 10 days on anything over 1/2 acre.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
If you must offer biweekly, make sure the price is inflated by about 50% of your weekly price. People do want to save money and dont care about your equipment having to work harder or get replaced sooner or that it takes you longer to cut, trim and clean up. They care about their bottom line, and you should care about yours. DOnt offer biweekly cuts in the spring or fall, maybe tell them that service is only available in the hot dry weather when the grass doesnt seem to grow much. And forget about it if they appear to fertilize or water their lawns, youre asking for trouble
I will never understand why some people who have trugreen or Scott's won't pay to have their lawn mowed more than twice a month. Unreal. It's NEVER the people who use the local fert and squirt guy, they always get weekly, never an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Sponsor

Some make a killing with the bi-weeklys. Charge much more for it though if you are going that route. We prefer weekly here and definitely bid each house uniquely. Every lawn is different, and flat rating can hurt you at times.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only do weeklys because it's hard to know how much a lawn will grow in one/two weeks and it could be a lot more work after two.

Instead of a set price (I do advertise prices by the sqft but with the disclaimer that it's only a baseline) just say 'starting at $xx'. That way people have a general idea but you aren't locked in if the yard is no where near that price.