Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help breaking concrete - See PICS

I am filling in this large pool, its a big job, I broke all the concrete deck and pool bottom with the hammer. I got 3 of the 4 tops of the sides, the last side I couldn't get with the breaker on the backhoe since the pool was not filled.

The backhoe has been returned, but I need to knock a foot off, to get proper grade.

Any ideas on how to break off the top 12" or so???? It has to go so I dont have a huge mound of dirt covering the wall near the house.

The last pic is currently how the project stands.

I need ideas not criticism.

Thanks
Matt
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cut it off with a concrete saw... Even if it does not go all the way through, it should be enough to break it off the rest of the way with that bobcat.

Rent a breaker attachment for the bobcat?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just get a jackhammer and get after it, it will take a half day but then youre done. I love my hilti, its a beast. If youre opposed to physical labor rent one for the skid
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I can offer a lot that you will not want to hear. I demo roughly 15-20 pools a season using a mini excavator with a hammer. You will need to remove the fill placed in front of the wall rent a hammer for your skid and process the wall. In my area all the concrete must be processed to a basketball size or less. This job will haunt you if not done correctly when the fill settles. Did the city have to inspect this demo prior to backfill??
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird21 View Post
I can offer a lot that you will not want to hear. I demo roughly 15-20 pools a season using a mini excavator with a hammer. You will need to remove the fill placed in front of the wall rent a hammer for your skid and process the wall. In my area all the concrete must be processed to a basketball size or less. This job will haunt you if not done correctly when the fill settles. Did the city have to inspect this demo prior to backfill??
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually yes we secured proper permits with the township, inspector passed the pool bottom breakup and concrete fill before dirt backfill.

Compaction was offered to customer but rejected, they are flipping the house and were not concerned about settling
Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Next time, it's easier to use an ex. Knock out a wall build a ramp and put ex in pool. Use a hammer and go around top 24". Then tAke the bucket and pull the wall down into the pool
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you are worried about damaging the other slab or want a cleaner line, I like the idea of making a saw cut either with a ride-on or walk behind so you have a clean line to break the rest away from. I'd defer to others' opinions, though, as I'm not usually breaking up concrete with a machine near other structures. I've demoed a number of slabs were homes or barns were and sometimes it doesn't break up as expected. I would keep punching the bigger pieces, though, so you can get better compaction.

Post some more pics when you complete. Looks like a fun job.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't even think of a breaker for the bobcat, stressing too much I over looked that simple solution. I called and have one rented for my A300 for Monday

I actually had a min ex in the pool with a breaker, it had no power and I couldn't break through the bottom, it's 8". That's why I needed to get the backhoe with bigger hammer, it's been a tough job for me, zero access from rear and a very steep bank to come up from the front.

I should be out of there on Monday once the wall is lowered and I can install my fill and topsoil
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

All finished, customer is doing the raking and seeding to save $$
Attached Images