Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
I have talked to one that does the monthly retainer route and comes very highly recommended. He would be doing seo, Google analytics, and minor web alterations for 1000 monthly for a minimum of 4 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Work it backwards, what does that $1000 a month need to generate in sales just to break even? Think that's likely?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tony might have a different take, but here is how I see paying for SEO:

If you gross over $1 million then you should be paying someone $1K+ a month. You should also be doing PPC, social media, and blogging- which you are dedicating time and/or more budget to. But you have a beast to feed and online marketing is the best way to do that.

Most of us though, are much smaller than that. It's hard to justify $1K+ every month. SEO, however, is time consuming and doing it wrong can do you a huge amount of damage. So hiring someone cheap does not make sense unless you personally know them and can understand and oversee what they are doing.

So, what to do? There are 3 routes (as I see it):

1- Hire someone at a fair rate for a limited amount of time. Pay $1K+ a month for 3-6 months. The right person/agency should be able to lay the basis for good visibility in that amount of time. With a little education you should be able to maintain it from there. I would look here if I was considering this option: https://www.whitespark.ca/localspark....google.com%2F

2- Learn enough to subcontract stuff and/or use tools. For example, you pay Whitespark to clean up your citations and build 100 new ones. You pay someone else to do an onsite SEO audit, then pay the guy who built your website to implement it. In most markets you do this option for under $1500 and have more leads than you know what to do with. However- this only works if you have a decent website to begin with and a halfway decent portfolio and/or value proposition.

3- DIY. Build your own site on Squarespace. Read here, MOZ, Search Engine Land, etc and start cleaning citations, earning links, becoming an authority.... etc. This will cost you very little $ but tons of time. And if you can't communicate effectively you may still need to pay someone to write copy for you. But even in a competitive market you can get on page 1 this way.

And I guess option 4 would be all PPC- but that gets more expensive every day.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Tony might have a different take, but here is how I see paying for SEO:
I think this is a solid post, Headz. In fact, much of it, based on my experience, is pretty dead on.

Quote:
Most of us though, are much smaller than that. It's hard to justify $1K+ every month. SEO, however, is time consuming and doing it wrong can do you a huge amount of damage. So hiring someone cheap does not make sense unless you personally know them and can understand and oversee what they are doing.
Cleaning up a bad SEO's work is time-consuming. In fact, there's nothing I dread more than when we have to do this kind of work. If you recall Harvey Keitel's Pulp Fiction character, The Wolf, it's like that, only less fun, more time-consuming, and, quite often, more messy.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is "If you charge a postage stamp-sized lawn client more per month to mow than your SEO charges you, you have not hired a legitimate or talented person.".

Quote:
3- DIY. Build your own site on Squarespace.
Preach it... There are times I wonder how much people utilize the advice we give on this site. For the love of all that is holy, people, please stop using GoDaddy and Wix to build your sites.

Last edited by tonygreek; 08-05-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heads and tony I am definitely favoring option two for sure and was what I had in mind personally as well. Would you mind looking at my website and see if you think its solid enough to implement? Its yelandscaping.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
Heads and tony I am definitely favoring option two for sure and was what I had in mind personally as well. Would you mind looking at my website and see if you think its solid enough to implement? Its yelandscaping.com
Posted via Mobile Device
30 second review...Could use a punch up, but you have a decent foundation.

- My educated guess would be your mobile/tablet traffic will indicate that your site should be mobile-friendly or responsive.

- Main fixes would be cleaning up some usability issues and make the site flow more intuitive.

- Create a more engaging header that better integrates your logo, as well as easy to see contact info.

- I'd find a much better quality background image.

- If you're going to allow your web guy a link on your site, don't let it be a doorway to show your visitors the exit. Read: the link should open in a new tab/window, not send your traffic away from your site.

Keep in mind that the majority of my family members are University of Dayton grads, so I might just be telling you the wrong things, you know, for kicks...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

testimonials are too fast!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

like the pics.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony, what do your family members think of UD's new logo? lol http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...-logo-redesign

To Barrett, I feel like there's a branding disconnect between the logo and styling of your company and both the name and the abbrevation (YELL) that everyone's using. I feel like there's more energy than what I'm seeing on the door of the trucks.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
Tony, what do your family members think of UD's new logo? lol http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...-logo-redesign
Awful. We all hate it (I had hoops season tickets for the majority of my life). This is what happens when you outsource the process to a firm with no connection to the University or city. In fact, if you send the work to Philly, you're going to get a Philly-influenced logo. If you think it's reminiscent of the Philadelphia Flyers logo, there might just be a reason. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
To Barrett, I feel like there's a branding disconnect between the logo and styling of your company and both the name and the abbrevation (YELL) that everyone's using. I feel like there's more energy than what I'm seeing on the door of the trucks.
I completely agree with this. YELL seems to be an interesting, brandable way to transition to better reflect that you'll eventually be a 40 yr old landscape company owner. I would bet that some marketing folks would be licking their chops to work with that evolution. So easy to work with. So marketable.

"Looking for the best landscaping company around? Just YELL!"
Old 08-05-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys. I agree for the most part and/or understand most of what you are saying. The only thing that I am having some confusion understanding is there being a branding disconnect between the logo and styling of my company??? My website is definitely going to be touched up a bit before I go full bore with the SEO work.
Closed Thread