Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you exactly mean by this tony?

- My educated guess would be your mobile/tablet traffic will indicate that your site should be mobile-friendly or responsive.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
What do you exactly mean by this tony?

- My educated guess would be your mobile/tablet traffic will indicate that your site should be mobile-friendly or responsive.
In this day, everyone should have a mobile-friendly or responsive design site. Responsive designed sites are those that look the same, regardless of device or screen size, resizing or shaping the content to always look nice and legible.

Across all sites I have, that traffic is over 30%. Specific to your area, I can give you numbers when I get back to the office, but I'd guess it's in the 29-34% range.

Basically, you want to make sure 1/3 of your audience isn't struggling with your site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

gotcha that makes sense
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks for the constructive criticism guys. I agree for the most part and/or understand most of what you are saying. The only thing that I am having some confusion understanding is there being a branding disconnect between the logo and styling of my company??? My website is definitely going to be touched up a bit before I go full bore with the SEO work.
don't want to speak for Tony, but for myself you have the name "Young Entrepreneur Landscaping" which calls to mind someone young and enterprising and getting in there and mixing things up. And the people referring to you as YELL, that also conveys something exciting and, well, worth yelling about. And then the logo is yet another leaf/tree and a script font, same as I've seen on trucks all over the country for decades. Funny thing about marketing is if you tell people you're someone worth talking about, they'll talk about you. I think your branding could take advantage of the elements I mentioned. Does that make any sense?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotcha. We do that to an extent already with our uniforms and post card mailers but definitely see more ways to put it to use. Funny you mention the lettering on my trucks. Believe it or not I have gotten countless compliments on their appearance and lettering layout. I guess people like the simplicity of.it.

More in line I met today with a company that specializes in every aspect of marketing for an overall marketing plan strategy. Pretty interested in hearing what they have to offer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts on the website:

- I agree that the bones are in place, but it needs some fleshing out.
- Not a fan of background images period. Maybe just in the header? But not the whole page usually.
- Sliders on autoplay are great if your pictures are unbe-freaking-lievable. Otherwise they just distract from the text- which is what will usually make or break the conversion. If you keep a slider, don't have it autoplay. I love this article on landing page design: http://moz.com/blog/most-entertainin...e-optimization
- Text seems a little small to me.
- Do some looking around at other landscaper's websites- especially the guys who are on page 1 AND who are only 15-20 year old companies. Those guys often have websites you can emulate.
- Keep pics of equipment to a minimum. Clients rarely care about that stuff.

I have a couple thoughts to go along with the feedback on your branding. Keep in mind that these are just my opinion and that you know your company and clients best.

- Now seems like a good time to position your brand for the next leap. I agree the the YELL thing could be great for you. Maybe the "young entrepreneur" angle could be pushed to the background?
- No reason to hide the fact that you are also going to school, I am sure that plenty of people will take that as a positive. However, some people may wonder how you can do both. I would spell that out clearly- either on your About page or on a separate page that is easily found from the About page.

Just my 2 cents :-)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do mention in my about page that I am in college still. While i do see why yell may seem more important than young entrepreneur they in reality are intertwined. I use both to play off of one another. One is a call to action while the other is a major symbol of me and my company that people can get behind and support
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I should mention if there is some confusion as well. Yell stands for young entrepreneur landscaping bllc so they are both tied together essentially
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I do mention in my about page that I am in college still.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were hiding it. Just saying that while it might be a positive to some, it is probably a barrier to others. I would address that if I were you- and since you will be adding/tweaking site content, might as well do it now.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Maybe I should mention if there is some confusion as well. Yell stands for young entrepreneur landscaping bllc so they are both tied together essentially
Posted via Mobile Device
Totally get that.

I think that what we are getting at, is that the "Young Entrepreneur" thing can probably only take you so far. I have gotten the impression that you are trying to build and grow for the long haul, so maybe you will eventually have to de-emphasize the "Young" aspect. Maybe that is now, as you make a push to establish your brand online. Or maybe it is later. Maybe it's never :-)

The good thing, as Tony and PC have alluded to, is that your acronym YELL is really great. Maybe, at some point, that should be your primary identity?

Just a thought...
Closed Thread