Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
I thought you had no idea what an seo guy would charge in this industry. How do you know it's a steal?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a good question. I don't know what they charge in this industry, however in other industries you'd be looking at $1k-$5k per month if the marketer is legit (this is not to say OP's friend isn't legit). However, I understand that for small time guys like us, we wouldn't be able to pay that much. That's why I say it's a steal.

I'd think that if a Lawn Company is serious about expanding fast and has moderate pockets to hire a professional company, you'd be looking at $800-$1200 per month minimum. Personally, I wouldn't do it for less than 1,500-2000/mo.

Most cases like this, you will own whatever the consultant builds. This is why I don't offer it in any industry anymore, because it's too easy to get fired once you've built their business.
  #52  
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Kawizx62003 Kawizx62003 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Transition Zone
Posts: 481
I wouldnt say an SEO "builds" someone elses business. The business owner builds it. One way a business owner builds his business is outsourcing work such as SEO, using his money.
  #53  
Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
I wouldnt say an SEO "builds" someone elses business. The business owner builds it. One way a business owner builds his business is outsourcing work such as SEO, using his money.
I stand corrected. Fired after helping build the business.

No doubt, the LCO would have to be able to close and retain the customer. But that's the easy part once we're in front of them.

I'll put it to you this way, I did "SEO" for a Dr. here locally. They weren't struggling, however, they wanted to grow.

In 18 months, we maxed out their practice, and they told me to shut it off, they were only going to take referrals from then on, because they couldn't handle the volume.

They had 2 forms of marketing:

1) print ads in magazines and newspapers
2) my company handling SEO and PPC

We had seperate phone numbers set up to track where the calls were coming from. 1 for print ads, and 1 number for the web stuff.

In that 18 month time frame, they received 36 calls from their print ads.

In that same 18 month time frame, they received 273 calls from my online marketing efforts.

Then they fired me. And I was charging dirt cheap $500/mo, because it was a quasi-small town and in the beginning I wasn't sure how much volume we could pull.

No doubt if the Dr. was no good, they wouldn't have retained the patients, however, it would have likely taken them another 3 years or more to max out their practice.

So, no, I didn't build their business all by myself, I just sent people to them, and they did the rest.

And they did it well.
  #54  
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC7 View Post
$300/mo is a literal steal. It costs that much just to buy the domain names for a solid private blog network.

Hopefully he can get you good results.
A private blog network for local lawn care? This is the equivalent of your family doctor client telling you "I paid $15 for this scalpel blade." and you say "That's a great deal, because it costs $1.75m to buy a daVinci robot.". Basically, it doesn't need to be part of the conversation.

If you think it's remotely necessary to use, let alone "name drop", a private blog network, you should really reassess the local lawn and landscape scene.

And you really wouldn't have any problem turning down people that won't meet your $1,500 to $2,000 month fee because:

A.) They're not paying it close to it. At least not the 99.99%ers.
B.) If you think it takes that, you've drastically overestimating the workload it takes to rank.
C.) 99.9999(9)% of Lawnsiters are not hiring a full-service firm. They're not even hiring Joe Homebased.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy

Last edited by tonygreek; 08-19-2014 at 10:45 PM.
  #55  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
A private blog network for local lawn care? This is the equivalent of your family doctor client telling you "I paid $15 for this scalpel blade." and you say "That's a great deal, because it costs $1.75m to buy a daVinci robot.". Basically, it doesn't need to be part of the conversation.

If you think it's remotely necessary to use, let alone "name drop", a private blog network, you should really reassess the local lawn and landscape scene.

And you really wouldn't have any problem turning down people that won't meet your $1,500 to $2,000 month fee because:

A.) They're not paying it close to it. At least not the 99.99%ers.
B.) If you think it takes that, you've drastically overestimating the workload it takes to rank.
C.) 99.9999(9)% of Lawnsiters are not hiring a full-service firm. They're not even hiring Joe Homebased.
Actually, Tony, I was alluding to the fact that regardless of the industry, the costs, as you well know, to build, rank, and convert visitors to callers is the same in the Lawn Business as it is the Medical Field.

The difference is the ticket price of 1 boob job is considerably more than an average lawn customer.

So, obviously, LCO won't pay 1500-2000/mo for online marketing, but a Dr. will; because the ROI is much higher.

I'm not trying to pick up clients here at lawnsite, hell I'm here to look at reviews on lawn mowers. I just think the web marketing section of the site is interesting, because it's my bread and butter.

Most lawn care markets can rank with just onsite optimization, but if they want to dominate or they have a little competition in the search engines, 3-5 site PBN is pretty much all you need.

I don't really need to re-evaluate the lawn care market, because I know first hand what it takes to go all out in an attempt to saturate the search engines for their area (multiple 1st page organic & map listings), it will take time and money.

Like I said, I'm not here to gain clients, I'm just reading reviews on mowers, but here's a sample of my current rankings:

Keyword

Natchez Lawn Service

#1 & #3 listings on the maps (bruinlawn.com & thelawnboy.net)

#3 organic listing (thelawnboy.net)
#8 organic listing (facebook)


Natchez Lawn

#1 organic (thelawnboy.net)
#9 organic (facebook)

The 90120 Images that you see ranking are mine, but I no longer use the SMS marketing services.


Natchez Lawn Care

#1 Maps (thelawnboy.net)
#2 Maps (bruinlawn.com)
#1 Organic (thelawnboy.net)
#7 Organic (facebook)
#10 Organic (twitter)


Thelawnboy.net site contains approximately 3,000 pages, and ranks in the top 5 for a few hundred local lawn care keyword variations.

Not beating my chest at all - but LCO's would be looking at paying a crap ton for a professional company to go all out and duplicate this for them.

EDIT: I understand the sites are simple and arguably ugly, but to me it doesn't matter, all the person needs is my phone #
  #56  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,664
BLC7, it boils down to this... If you want to venture into the green industry SEO world, you just need to figure out what effort it realistically takes to get your prospective clients where they want to go and price accordingly. It's not really a "Well, in this other industry..." situation.

Taking your medical field example... It does tend to take significantly more resources (read: money) than, say, a lawn service. This is usually because you are also fighting against other people who know just as much, or more, than you do. Medical is high stakes, with high budgets more available than anything except, maybe, legal-related services. It's akin to an arms race, albeit between medical practices. By and large, that same environment does not exist in the local green industry.

You don't want to get hung up comparing apples to oranges. I'veled web marketing strategies for a variety of Fortune companies. Except for basic, on-site work, there's almost nothing that I can even come close to doing that would allow me to try to compare it to ranking Bob's Mow 'n Blow. If anything, it's ridiculously fractional. Different scales. Different competitive landscape.

So, figure out what it takes to get the results your clients want. Price it accordingly. Rinse and repeat.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
  #57  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,664
I definitely see some overlap in our simultaneous postings. That's good stuff.

And, similar to the medical ROI, the high-end design/build guys will pay your rate. You just have to show them the realistic ROI and it's a no-brainer.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
  #58  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
BLC7, it boils down to this... If you want to venture into the green industry SEO world, you just need to figure out what effort it realistically takes to get your prospective clients where they want to go and price accordingly. It's not really a "Well, in this other industry..." situation.

Taking your medical field example... It does tend to take significantly more resources (read: money) than, say, a lawn service. This is usually because you are also fighting against other people who know just as much, or more, than you do. Medical is high stakes, with high budgets more available than anything except, maybe, legal-related services. It's akin to an arms race, albeit between medical practices. By and large, that same environment does not exist in the local green industry.

You don't want to get hung up comparing apples to oranges. I'veled web marketing strategies for a variety of Fortune companies. Except for basic, on-site work, there's almost nothing that I can even come close to doing that would allow me to try to compare it to ranking Bob's Mow 'n Blow. If anything, it's ridiculously fractional. Different scales. Different competitive landscape.

So, figure out what it takes to get the results your clients want. Price it accordingly. Rinse and repeat.

I don't want to get into Lawn SEO, I was simply asking what SEO companies charge for their services in the lawn industry, because obviously it's not going to be the same as a larger ticket industry.

It was simple curiosity. So please stop trying to paypal me money to seo your site!!

  #59  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC7 View Post
Thelawnboy.net site contains approximately 3,000 pages, and ranks in the top 5 for a few hundred local lawn care keyword variations.
You used a nuke to blow up a service area the size of Natchez? I hope you outsourced that content. You probably could have done the same with 5 good pages.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
  #60  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You used a nuke to blow up a service area the size of Natchez? I hope you outsourced that content. You probably could have done the same with 5 good pages.
Indeed, good sir!!

The content, believe it or not, is 5 good articles duplicated and optimized for the "keyword city/town" a few thousand times using a script.

Haha.

run a google site:thelawnboy.net check, and you'll see what I mean. The articles are duplicate except the target keyword is replaced with each new blog post publish.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.13638 seconds with 7 queries