Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple thoughts:

Isn't being an SEO kind of like being a football coach- you get hired to fired? Most gains in traffic occur in the first 3-6 months, then the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Gains after that are incremental and most small biz owners won't be able to justify the expense any more.

PBN for a mom and pop landscape company seems like a bad idea. Why be black hat and put your business at risk when you can just do some solid online marketing? Unless you are a churn n burn contractor...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC7 View Post
Indeed, good sir!!

The content, believe it or not, is 5 good articles duplicated and optimized for the "keyword city/town" a few thousand times using a script.

Haha.
I believe it because I assumed it was the case. There's another lawnsiter currently dealing with the fallout from his SEO's use of this "strategy".

For your service area (it generates a 3 Pack...), a DIY'er could follow best practices and be up there in a couple of weeks. Hiring out, I wouldn't imagine it would take more than a few hundred dollars, including spinning up 25 to 30 citations and the standard, on site best practices.

Basically (and I get that you don't want to enter the green SEO market), you really only need scale back from hunting squirrel with an illegal rocket launcher to using a laser, albeit one blessed by Lord Google. It's much more efficient, in terms of time and budget. Your prospective clients will thank you for this, especially when they actually have all of their pages maintaining a healthy Google indexing.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
A couple thoughts:

Isn't being an SEO kind of like being a football coach- you get hired to fired? Most gains in traffic occur in the first 3-6 months, then the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Gains after that are incremental and most small biz owners won't be able to justify the expense any more.
yes. unless the business is set up for massive expansion. this is why i don't offer this particular service any longer. it sucks to be expendable once you get them top rankings and they fire you. unless you own the properties that contain the links that are responsible for the top rankings.

It's an entire business model that I don't like, but yes, you're right. By design, SEO's are hired to be fired once their job is complete.

Quote:
PBN for a mom and pop landscape company seems like a bad idea. Why be black hat and put your business at risk when you can just do some solid online marketing? Unless you are a churn n burn contractor...
Posted via Mobile Device
Not necessarily if mom and pop wants to constantly weather all the google updates. Plus it's a lot better than going out and getting 1000's of crappy backlinks from article syndication. In my opinion anyway.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So PBN's don't ever get busted and penalized? Not trying to be a pain, just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I believe it because I assumed it was the case. There's another lawnsiter currently dealing with the fallout from his SEO's use of this "strategy".

For your service area (it generates a 3 Pack...), a DIY'er could follow best practices and be up there in a couple of weeks. Hiring out, I wouldn't imagine it would take more than a few hundred dollars, including spinning up 25 to 30 citations and the standard, on site best practices.

Basically (and I get that you don't want to enter the green SEO market), you really only need scale back from hunting squirrel with an illegal rocket launcher to using a laser, albeit one blessed by Lord Google. It's much more efficient, in terms of time and budget. Your prospective clients will thank you for this, especially when they actually have all of their pages maintaining a healthy Google indexing.
Hunting squirrel with an illegal rocket launcher.. lmao

I get what you're saying, but I'm not too worried about it. I've got 26 lawn accounts and that's about where I'm gonna stay.

Tony, I do more lead gen/site leasing than trying to work as an SEO company. I like the model a lot better, because when I client doesn't pay or doesn't want calls anymore, I just plug in someone new.

Do you work mostly as an SEO consultant/company?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty much nailed it...including the 3-6 month time-frame. Educated guess? In this field, 2-4 would be quite common.

I do know some SEOs who have never been fired. I would guess if you make yourself a valued member of a team, and establish yourself as a legitimate, subject matter expert, you're not so expendable. As with everything else, it's all about creating value.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So PBN's don't ever get busted and penalized? Not trying to be a pain, just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, they do if you don't hide them... but mainly only ones that are 50+ in size and are hosted on the same account.

I'm absolutely certain that if you had a 5 site PBN, you wouldn't even have to hide them. You'd just have to have them on a different hosting account/IP address than your money site/lawn site.

So you'd host your lawn site at say hostgator and your 5 site PBN at bluehost.

I just set up 2 PBN sites that's hardly considered a network, and it blasted my lawn site to #1 for natchez lawn in about 2 weeks. At first I was shocked and thought it dropped completely off the first 3 pages, because I couldn't find it... but there it was sitting at #1. lol
Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I just set up 2 PBN sites that's hardly considered a network, and it blasted my lawn site to #1 for natchez lawn in about 2 weeks. At first I was shocked and thought it dropped completely off the first 3 pages, because I couldn't find it... but there it was sitting at #1. lol
Orrrrr...you could do it with 5 good pages and be in Google's good graces. What you did was wholly unnecessary. You did it because you could (or felt the need to), not because it was necessary, let alone reasonable. Your market is really, really small. In fact, it's actually among the least competitive I've seen on here.

For fun, just rank another domain for lawn care in Nachez and try to "blast" it to the top using the laser (standard?) approach. Should take you about the same amount of time. As an added bonus, it will be good practice for when you have to use the disavow tool and try to get back on Google's good side.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Orrrrr...you could do it with 5 good pages and be in Google's good graces. What you did was wholly unnecessary. You did it because you could (or felt the need to), not because it was necessary, let alone reasonable. Your market is really, really small. In fact, it's actually among the least competitive I've seen on here.

For fun, just rank another domain for lawn care in Nachez and try to "blast" it to the top using the laser (standard?) approach. Should take you about the same amount of time. As an added bonus, it will be good practice for when you have to use the disavow tool and try to get back on Google's good side.
Unnecessary? It shot it to #1 from about #8. haha.

You're right, though. I did it because I could, and wanted to see what would happen.

Not sure what you mean by the "laser method." Could you expound on this?

Do you mean by simply onsite optimization?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Unnecessary? It shot it to #1 from about #8. haha.
You're missing the forest for the trees. A .22 will kill a squirrel. A rocket launcher isn't going to make it more dead.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the "laser method." Could you expound on this?

Do you mean by simply onsite optimization?
Yes. In your situation, a laser approach would be nothing more than legit, best practices. You might not even have to do much, if any, off-site work. Some good title tags and page names and Google/Yahoo/Bing Local pages might be it.

Cheers