Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #71  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 AM
BLC7 BLC7 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You're missing the forest for the trees. A .22 will kill a squirrel. A rocket launcher isn't going to make it more dead.
In a literal situation, I disagree. I understand your analogy, however, we're not hunting squirrels. We're ranking "in order to get more business and make more money." I don't believe there is ever overkill when this is the goal.

I'd rather use a bazooka and shoot to the top and saturate the listings and hoard all the phone calls, than use a .22 and wonder when, if ever, I'll show up on page 1 or get a call from the web.

On that same note, I'm looking at the link profiles in Majestic for the sites that are ranking #1 & #2 in the houston market. There's nothing special about them, and I'm sure the bazooka method would work well not only in Houston, but in just about any city in the US and dominate.

For the #4th largest city in the U.S., there are only 52 competitors directly competing for the keyword "lawn service in houston" as opposed to 35 direct competing pages for the same keyword in my small 20k town of Natchez.

The 7-pack would be more difficult to get into than Natchez, but organically we could dominate it quick and easy.



Quote:
Yes. In your situation, a laser approach would be nothing more than legit, best practices. You might not even have to do much, if any, off-site work. Some good title tags and page names and Google/Yahoo/Bing Local pages might be it.

Cheers
Actually, if you look at my link profile (thelawnboy.net), that's all I've really done. I just did it on a massive scale across a few thousand keywords focusing mainly on onsite optimization & interlinking.

The PBN links aren't even showing up yet in Majestic SEO.

As far as bruinlawn.com - the 3 pack listing - the only citations I created to get the ranking are actually on internal pages of BruinLawn.com (I think this site is 5-6 pages).

It shows up some organically with zero external factors, but it's nothing compared to thelawnboy.net.

Cheers buddy. Enjoyed the conversation.
  #72  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,469
I thought shady "blog networks" were why everyone was saying "no, stop guest blogging, it's bad"?
  #73  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Barrett Landscaping Barrett Landscaping is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,205
The guy who I am going with is legit. The reason he was so much more affordable than other guys is that his overhead is much lower than the other companies. He knows that others are in the 1-2k per month range but he morally does not charge as much as them even though he could because of his lower costs.
  #74  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 AM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC7 View Post
For the #4th largest city in the U.S., there are only 52 competitors directly competing for the keyword "lawn service in houston" as opposed to 35 direct competing pages for the same keyword in my small 20k town of Natchez.

The 7-pack would be more difficult to get into than Natchez, but organically we could dominate it quick and easy.
You seem to look at the internet through a very subjective lens. Or it's possible you just don't know. Either way, I'm just going to go hyperventilate into a paper bag.

It actually pains me to think even one person might come away from all of this thinking, "Well, I guess this is what I gotta do to get #1 for a major metro or Mayberry, USA.". It's simply not.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
  #75  
Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 AM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
The guy who I am going with is legit. The reason he was so much more affordable than other guys is that his overhead is much lower than the other companies. He knows that others are in the 1-2k per month range but he morally does not charge as much as them even though he could because of his lower costs.
Getting back on track...

Barrett, out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what factored in to your decision making process? You were looking for someone new, but ultimately decided to go back to your guy.

From a thought process standpoint, what changed or what did he present to you to tell you he could get your site, and ranks, where he previously didn't/couldn't? Your primary keyword is ranked around page 7, so do you think it was more due to letting the site lapse and competition passing you by? An issue of budget not being able to get you where you wanted the first time around? A combination of both? None of the above?

Thanks for any insight. I always enjoy reading about people's decision-making processes.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
  #76  
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

Thanks for any insight. I always enjoy reading about people's decision-making processes.
tony, I'd also be curious to hear from you what some good signs are when interviewing SEOs. I know red flags have been discussed but I have to think that there's a commonality to how someone plans to get the client from page 8 to page 1? Sort of like pizza - you can add your spin to it but at the end of the day it's dough, sauce, and cheese baked in on oven or on a grill (and don't try and tell me cheese is optional)
  #77  
Old 08-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Blue Jay Irrigation's Avatar
Blue Jay Irrigation Blue Jay Irrigation is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I will chime in and hopefully the mods will move this to the website subforum.

SEO is a great way to generate leads, especially in a market the size of yours. And, after a 3 minute check, I would guess it wouldn't be too difficult to get to page 1.

Since I started really getting into SEO about 2 years ago we have transitioned from a word of mouth only company to one that gets about 75% of our business from our website. And we have grown from about $250K to over $800K this year. Some of that is due to the economy rebounding- but a lot is our online marketing efforts.

Head over to the website subforum and start reading and asking questions!
What SEO allows for is "set it and forget it" advertising (not really but you'll see why I say that in a second). Traditional marketing efforts like flyers, ads, cold-calls take time to develop, organize and implement. Most importantly they take up time, especially if you're an up-start business, this may be time spent doing other things.

SEO tools like Google AdWords give you the opportunity to set up your platforms or "Campaigns" in advance so that while you're working, your online marketing efforts are generating more business for you. Now although it is essentially on auto-pilot, it is also important to routinely monitor and optimize both keywords and running ads so you are maximizing your budget.

From my own experience, the metrics can be quite discouraging to see a declining CTR. It's easy to get caught up on this. What you need to remember is that its QUALITY that counts and that it only takes 1 click to add a new multi-year contract or bid for a new tender.

As your business gains more exposure and builds up its brand, you will spend less on PPC accounts because you will appear more often in the organic search. Think of SEO as an investment with potential for a huge return.
__________________
Residential, Commercial & Golf Industry Irrigation Since 1982. Visit us online at www.bluejayirrigation.com
  #78  
Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Barrett Landscaping Barrett Landscaping is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,205
Tony the reason that I was not initially going to use the guy that I have been using for everything else initially was based on him thinking that he would not have enough time to manage it. After meeting with a few other companies I was not impressed with what they were wanting to do for the price along with it. He will be doing all of the things that everyone else proposed, just not with the highway robbery price. I'm willing to give him a shot since I have good experience with him already and his rates are really affordable so if for some reason I don't see the results it won't be the end of the world. However, I highly doubt that will be the case.
  #79  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You seem to look at the internet through a very subjective lens. Or it's possible you just don't know. Either way, I'm just going to go hyperventilate into a paper bag.

It actually pains me to think even one person might come away from all of this thinking, "Well, I guess this is what I gotta do to get #1 for a major metro or Mayberry, USA.". It's simply not.
LOL. It's not subjective. It's fact.

It pains me to think people read your stuff and think "All I have to do is optimize my 5 page site, and I'm gonna hit #1".

I'm not here to get into a pissing match. However, while you hyperventilate into a paper bag:


BruinLawn.com follows your opinion that it only needs onsite optimization to rank page 1.

Main Keyword: Natchez Lawn Service
Rank: Page 4, #35

Citations: 6
Maps listing: #3

This is following Google's TOS & Best Practices.

It's not subjective. It's fact.


thelawnboy.net also follows your opinion that it needs onsite optimization and Google Best Practices.

It also follows the opinion that it may need:

1) external factors to rank on page 1
2) Structured internal linking

Main Keyword: Natchez Lawn Service
Rank: Page 1, #3

Citations: way more than 6
Maps Listing: #1


The only thing that is subjective is your view that a lawn service SEO strategy only needs to implement on page optimization to rank #1.

BruinLawn follows your opinion to the Tee and ranks page 4. And you said yourself, the market I'm in is the smallest and least competitive you've ever seen, yet Google best practices isn't doing anything for it, except ranking it on the map due to the lack of competition.

The other example, thelawnboy.net, blows Google Best Practices out of the friggin water, buddy. And has been doing so for over a year.

I challenge you to dispute this with your own examples of either your rankings or a clients' rankings

But what most SEO's get wrong is that #1 rankings for a single keyword (or only 3-4 keywords) don't mean jack squat.

To imply that I don't know what I'm talking about and that what I'm doing is wrong for taking up almost 50% of the real estate on page 1 of google is quite simply ignorant.

If your potential customer searches for a local LCO, and all they can find is you - everywhere, under every search - who do you think they're going to call?

It ain't gonna be Ghostbusters.

Last edited by BLC7; 08-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.
  #80  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 PM
BLC7 BLC7 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
The guy who I am going with is legit. The reason he was so much more affordable than other guys is that his overhead is much lower than the other companies. He knows that others are in the 1-2k per month range but he morally does not charge as much as them even though he could because of his lower costs.
Barrett, I'm sure your guy is legit. Top dollar doesn't always mean best. I was just curious as to what folks were charging LCO's for SEO, because the time & work involved is nearly the same regardless of the niche market.

I think you've got a great deal if he can get you on page 1.


Are you currently listed on the maps in your city?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.06962 seconds with 7 queries