Register free!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I-Core for golf course

Anyone see a problem with using an I-Core for golf course to replace what was the predecescor to the Hunter VSX? The only problem I could see is if the I-Core could push the signal on long runs of wire. Not sure the factors involved but I'm hoping John Wayne will chime in.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Why the I-core? why not go to a controller designed for the golf or commercial turf application?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Why the I-core? why not go to a controller designed for the golf or commercial turf application?
The current one which is the same as the current Hunter VSX is a beach to program. I can program it but I seem to be the only one. Cost is a factor also. The I-Core is considered commercial BTW.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys, I don't want to get "sale-sy" here, so I will try to keep it brief. The Hunter Pilot Golf Central Control system would be a better choice if this is a full-blown golf course application. The 80 station 24 VAC controller (Pilot-FC) will run 18 valve-in-head rotors simultaneously. It can be ordered as a 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 80-station unit. Way easier to program than VSX, too.

If you like decoder systems, the Pilot-DH (Decoder Hub) comes in station increments of 250, 500, 750, and 999. It can run 30 stations simultaneously per module. So, up to 120 zones at once if you have the flow.

I've seen I-Core used successfully on a few Par 3 courses and driving ranges, but we do not currently have software for this application. It would be stand-alone only with a max of two simultaneous programs.

The ACC controller has a golf "cousin", the AGC. 42 stations conventional or 99 decoder. It can run 6 stations at once and does have software.

Totally agree with ArTurf: I-Core is a Commercial (not Golf) controller. Hope this helps. We'll see what John Wayne says. Earth to Jim............
Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HTG,
This golf course system is pretty low tech, about 20 stations per controller. How many stations can the I-Core run at one time?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I-Core can run one station per program (2 solenoids per station) and two programs at once. So the answer is 2 simultaneous stations but you could double up the valve wires for a total of 4 concurrent solenoids in operation, plus a Master Valve. ACC/AGC can run 6 simultaneous programs also with 2 solenoids per station, plus 2 Master Valves.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would think the i-core a little underpowered for a valve in head operation.
is the course fully irrigated? i maintained a 9 hole course years ago that was only tees and greens. it wasn't much. 25 or so zones with the clubhouse landscaping on the same line. it was using a rain bird LX if i recall, no central control.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Without A Drought - I hear what you're saying and you would think the controller would be underpowered. Actually, a Hunter Golf rotor uses the same solenoid as any other Hunter valve. Same amp load. Therefore an I-Core or LX could operate 5 solenoids at once, max load. It's just that the golf controllers have massive power supplies that can operate 18 solenoids at once.
ArTurf - You might check to see how they are operating the VSX. How many stations are they running simultaneously? Also check the site's water window and available flow. This may help you select a controller that can reasonably mimic a VSX or Pilot FC without incurring the high cost of a true golf controller. Let us know what you choose, okay? Interesting topic.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

After briefly looking it seems the AGC might be the way to go. What is the price, couldn't find it for sale online anywhere.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

AGC will be sold through an Authorized Hunter Distributor who also sells Hunter Golf, which not everyone can do. In what State do you live? Again, I want to keep my posts limited to technical stuff and not cross the line into sales. I can give you this information offline. Many thanks!