Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
1400 seems way too high, it's doable in a day...
My thoughts as well. Especially for a weekly account
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
1400 seems way too high, it's doable in a day...
It's doable in a day, but you have to factor in expenses, if he's got 4 men on site, 4 mowers, fuel, everything else to factor in.... I'd say $1400 is middle of the road. Total speculation on how many men on site, what their hourly pay is plus overhead....

Around here 8-15 acres is a large estate for a weekly mow. That looks nice.

I like the idea of using the JD with a gang reel.

Last edited by gcbailey; 07-31-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,505
It's still a residence. It's very hard to find people to pay that kind of money to cut a residence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
It's still a residence. It's very hard to find people to pay that kind of money to cut a residence.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's true, but look at the size of the house compared to the others in the pic. That guy isn't hurting for money, and if he is willing to pay for weekly cuts on 40 acres, he's got the means necessary to afford it done at a decent rate.

On top of that, it may look decent from the air, but I'm betting there's a lot of rough areas to deal with, maybe even some real wash board type stuff around the pond. It also looks like old farm pasture, so it's going to be hard on equipment.

That's why I added to my post- without seeing it in person. Price always depends on conditions.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 07-31-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's true, but look at the size of the house compared to the others in the pic. That guy isn't hurting for money, and if he is willing to pay for weekly cuts on 40 acres, he's got the means necessary to afford it done at a decent rate.

On top of that, it may look decent from the air, but I'm betting there's a lot of rough areas to deal with, maybe even some real wash board type stuff around the pond. It also looks like old farm pasture, so it's going to be hard on equipment.

That's why I added to my post- without seeing it in person. Price always depends on conditions.
Where's the $5 guy. Perfect job for him lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Where's the $5 guy. Perfect job for him lol
Posted via Mobile Device
You mean $35Lawns? He'd be meeting with the heads of all the mower manu's to discuss building him his very own line of mowers just for that job LMAO
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You mean $35Lawns? He'd be meeting with the heads of all the mower manu's to discuss building him his very own line of mowers just for that job LMAO


low blow
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,812
"doable in a day"

I figured 1,760,000 ft2
60" mower
9 mph average
85% efficiency

523 minutes of mowing /60 = 8.71 man hours of mowing
then I took that number and multiplied by 2.5 to factor in trim and difficult "non productive" mowing areas (can't see that lake bank for example)
so 21.79 man hours.

at 65$ per hour…it's just over $1400.00

21 man hours is three guys for a day, so yea… it IS doable in a day.

do you think someone is going to SOLO that in a day?

yea, no.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 782
Well i help cut a local gun club. It is about 40 acres to cut. The Ferris IS2000 we use there we ride at 12 mph at full speed. Takes 12 hours Monday to cut, and 8 hours or so on Tuesday if the grass didn't get out of control. Lots to cut around and that time was with no trimming. Good luck on getting the job!
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

18 Regualar Accounts
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Aura Lawns's Avatar
Aura Lawns Aura Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
"doable in a day"

I figured 1,760,000 ft2
60" mower
9 mph average
85% efficiency

523 minutes of mowing /60 = 8.71 man hours of mowing
then I took that number and multiplied by 2.5 to factor in trim and difficult "non productive" mowing areas (can't see that lake bank for example)
so 21.79 man hours.

at 65$ per hour…it's just over $1400.00

21 man hours is three guys for a day, so yea… it IS doable in a day.

do you think someone is going to SOLO that in a day?

yea, no.
How did you calculate the sqft of the property?


Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.11541 seconds with 8 queries