Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Would you pay $8k a month to have your house cut?
Posted via Mobile Device
Id be glad too pay 3 times as much as someone with a tractor, as long as you made nice stripes.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Well fitting it in this late in season I still can mow on Saturday and Sunday Most time I do landscape installs then

Not looking to fill a day I price it where I was gong make money or I wasn't going do it.

I do a lot for the owner already a Factory lawn that's 25 acres His banks he owns So its like you don't tell him no You price it to where he says no

Now if it was March he was asking My price might be little cheaper I wouldn't bid on some things
I already mow a lawn twice the size of this one
How much do you make off of this customer a year?

I have one price. My normal price. A person that gives me a lot of business. I do not want him going to another Landscaper for something that I can do.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper8870 View Post
No matter if it's a commercial or a residence, cost is cost, expense is expense. When will people get over this crap of looking at your pricing based on if its commercial or residential. Charge everything the same no matter what. That is the reason for the vast array of pricing in this industry. Yeah some numb nuts will do it for $1,000 just to say he's doing it, knowing he is losing money on every service. Wake up folks, people are playing us against each other. There is more business than any of us can do available. Charge for your work because they are not going to do it themselves. We are the ones that are stupid. We let the client dictate what we charge. If a person can afford property such as that, they can afford to have it cut. I'd say $1,800 to $2,000. It's worth every dollar you can get out of it.
This is why I walk away if I do not get my price. Women just hired me. Her beds over grown with weeds. Some small poison ivy here and there.

Told her $60 and hour. As trooper said they do not want to do it. This is why they are paying us. They can not afford then it does not get done. A repair shop does not charge less because one is on a fixed income. Same for the electrician and plumber.

She said how many hours can I do a week.

So far 4 hours work done.

Last edited by 32vld; 08-02-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
that is the problem in our area. too many people pricing way too low. I really don't know anyone who would work for $8 per hour unless its a high school kid

From my understanding most of the hispanics doing lawn care around our area are getting paid between $8 to $12 an hour and that is tax free under the table. Two houses down from my parents house is two houses full of 4 or 5 families. The owner of the houses owns a decent size company (he lives in the bigger of the two houses) and he was discussing it with us one day. Nice guys but almost all of the crews you see with hispanic guys are all illegals getting paid under the table. That is how these crews around here are able to come in so cheap. We used to price higher 20 years ago than we do now even though everything (operating costs) has tripled in price over the years. We will seriously quote $25 for a lawn that is an average size 12K lawn and people look at us funny and say they already got prices for $20 from other companies. It is just sickening really.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-02-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
From my understanding most of the hispanics doing lawn care around our area are getting paid between $8 to $12 an hour and that is tax free under the table. Two houses down from my parents house is two houses full of 4 or 5 families. The owner of the houses owns a decent size company (he lives in the bigger of the two houses) and he was discussing it with us one day. Nice guys but almost all of the crews you see with hispanic guys are all illegals getting paid under the table. That is how these crews around here are able to come in so cheap. We used to price higher 20 years ago than we do now even though everything (operating costs) has tripled in price over the years. We will seriously quote $25 for a lawn that is an average size 12K lawn and people look at us funny and say they already got prices for $20 from other companies. It is just sickening really.
eventually hiring those illegals will catch up with those companies too. Around here they are starting to crack down on that. Granted i live in the midwest where its not nearly as big of an issue, but i know of a few companies that have been hit hard and/or shut down due to hiring illegals. I believe one owner is doing jail time for it.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
eventually hiring those illegals will catch up with those companies too. Around here they are starting to crack down on that. Granted i live in the midwest where its not nearly as big of an issue, but i know of a few companies that have been hit hard and/or shut down due to hiring illegals. I believe one owner is doing jail time for it.
As long as they give the owners "papers" there's not a damn thing they can do

I worked for one multi million dollar company. Over 60 people were "legal". But only one other person besides myself had legit papers. He got a contract that needed 4 people on an FBI building 5 days a week. He has to hire people for it lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
How much do you make off of this customer a year?

I have one price. My normal price. A person that gives me a lot of business. I do not want him going to another Landscaper for something that I can do.
I make good money off this customer I talk to him and He going keep his ground keeper for rest of this year Then come next spring draw up a contract There be more then just mowing
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I make good money off this customer I talk to him and He going keep his ground keeper for rest of this year Then come next spring draw up a contract There be more then just mowing
So, a contract for you? Contract up for bid? Is the groundskeeper aware?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So, a contract for you? Contract up for bid? Is the groundskeeper aware?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep for me Cant say on the last ??? you ask
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion, bid your price. People like this have the money to pay for quality. I just picked up a 3 or so acre property(pruning/trimming only) in which the owner had an unskilled labor guy working 40 hours per week. Yea, cheap labor but the owner had to babysit him. People with brains come to the realization that they don't want to babysit and understand they will have to pay for no headaches. Bid your price I think you may be surprised in the outcome. Best of luck to you.
Posted via Mobile Device