Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Need Help ASAP Wire/Controller issue

I was sent to a house by one of the salesman who was not paying attention to the controller or wire. I'm to add two extra drip zones, which requires two wires obviously. I have a Weathermatic Lawn Mate 12 controller and there are two extra wires from the multi strand that go into two wires in the controller, right behind the fuse. Does anyone know what those wires are for? I would like to change her controller to a Hunter Pro C (the new one) and use these two wires instead of running 4 strand 300 feet and drilling another hole in her garage.

Anyone have any ideas what it ha? I'll try and post pics but I'm doing this from my iPhone. Excuse my spelling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinDetroit View Post
I was sent to a house by one of the salesman who was not paying attention to the controller or wire. I'm to add two extra drip zones, which requires two wires obviously. I have a Weathermatic Lawn Mate 12 controller and there are two extra wires from the multi strand that go into two wires in the controller, right behind the fuse. Does anyone know what those wires are for? I would like to change her controller to a Hunter Pro C (the new one) and use these two wires instead of running 4 strand 300 feet and drilling another hole in her garage.

Anyone have any ideas what it ha? I'll try and post pics but I'm doing this from my iPhone. Excuse my spelling.
Posted via Mobile Device
I figured it out. I just followed the wire like I should have. Found an old school rains sensor tied into those two wires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe this would be a good situation for the devices that allow you to use 1 wire for 2 valves.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Maybe this would be a good situation for the devices that allow you to use 1 wire for 2 valves.
I just ripped out the rain sensor as it was under a tree anyway. Installed a new controller and wireless rain sensor. I must say I am not to happy with the new Pro C. They way it is laid out on the inside makes it look sloppy when wired.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I just ripped out the rain sensor as it was under a tree anyway. Installed a new controller and wireless rain sensor. I must say I am not to happy with the new Pro C. They way it is laid out on the inside makes it look sloppy when wired.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have any issues wiring the pro-c jay. Just take your time and do a neat job. Remember that there's no second chance for a first impression once the door opens.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you talking about the new Pro C with the blue face Jim? My favorite by far is the Rain Bird ESPM. This company uses mostly Hunter. The Hunter rep came in last week to show us the new Pro C and you can actually run two lighting transformers off the first two zones. However the sensor ports are way down now past the AC ports. The square metal holders are not concaved anymore to help hold the wire in place, just flat. I don't really like the common where the old ground screw was either.

I did re-wire it as I was not happy with it. Still looks off to me though. I'm actually still here at this site. High end house. She wants copper risers and what not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Are you talking about the new Pro C with the blue face Jim? My favorite by far is the Rain Bird ESPM. This company uses mostly Hunter. The Hunter rep came in last week to show us the new Pro C and you can actually run two lighting transformers off the first two zones. However the sensor ports are way down now past the AC ports. The square metal holders are not concaved anymore to help hold the wire in place, just flat. I don't really like the common where the old ground screw was either.

I did re-wire it as I was not happy with it. Still looks off to me though. I'm actually still here at this site. High end house. She wants copper risers and what not.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have gotten away from using the Pro C, it was my standard replacement. In the situation you describe I would have used the I-Core. Really not that much more especially if you have to purchase a module for the Pro C, 6 stations for instance. Customers have a hard time seeing the digits on the Pro C, the larger lighted display on the I-Core is really a step up. Also love the ability of flow monitering with the I-Core.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, I just installed a few this week and the wires are not as neat. Also the buttons seem to lag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are pics of it from today and the old controller. I am not to happy with the way it had to be wired on the inside or outside. I had no area to play or modify the wire because of the way it was drilled through cabinets, and behind the wall etc. But you can see from the pics the door doesn't even **** tight anymore. I used to have a small issue getting the face plate to pop open on the old controllers. Nope not this one, or the second one I had on my truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

This is an I-Core I installed last week with a PSR and RS. I like the I-Core, but I still like Rain Bird's controller better. We just do not use much of them.
Attached Images