Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2000, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hellow all
I read on a previous post that Chevy was hooked up with Isuzu to make a large V8 Diesel for a pickup application.
I once rented an Isuzu NPR with a 15ft box. We loaded it to the roof and pulled a car behind it all the way to Charlotte from Ft Lauderdale. The truck got 14mpg going 70mph with the air on.
My question is, why dont they just use the four cylinder they allready have? It is a proven engine. If it will handle the load I mentioned, surely it would handle a pickup application.
JOSHUA 24:15
Yesteryear Lawn Care
Old 09-04-2000, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Addict

longevity

Diesel motors get tired after a lot of miles and the v8 would be the smarter move for a truck apllication.
Old 09-04-2000, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy will be running a isuzu diesel and its suppose to be as powerful or more than the cummings and powerstokes, We have powerstrokes in our fords and a cummings dodge, Its about time someone put a good deisel in those chevys
Old 09-04-2000, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Addict

Built Ford Tough

I own a Ford F 250 with a power stroke and love both the truck and motor. I probably would never buy a chevy, even if they have the best diesel to go with it.

Never had a single problem with this motor and all the mechanics say that international and ford did their homework when they devoloped it. now all ford has to do is work on the automatic transmisions. That i think is there only downfall.
Old 09-04-2000, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 3.9 NPR engine has enough power to do the job,no american would buy it in a pickup when a 5.9 and 7.3 are in the dodge and Ford.I wouldnt want any less power than my Dodge had stock,and i put some real fuel to it,now it kicks.That little 3.9 is also a very dirty engine from a n emmissions standpoint,dont you notice that the back of them is always covered with soot from all the smoke they blow.The new Duramax will be much cleaner,quite,no smoke with 300hp,which would you rather have?The pwerstroke and 12V Cummins are also dirty engines that are will be phased out and replaced with cleaner,more powerful ones.I have seen the 3.9's with 300K on them in trucks that were at 15K +gross there whole life,so longevity isnt a problem with the Isuzu-emissions and power are.
Old 09-04-2000, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Addict

john,

That's what I was kinda was gettin at. Wouldn't you feel more comfortable with a v-8 diesel with 300k..........? when I said said longevity, thats what i meant by it.

Best Wishes
Old 09-04-2000, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John
What is an American truck.I owned a 86F250 with a 6.9 IH. When the starter went bad, the parts guy handed me a box with mitsubishi all over it. Origonal equiptment.
Don't hear me wrong,I'm a vet and love my country. I just don't know what buying American really means any more.
JOSHUA 24:15
Yesteryear Lawn Care
Old 09-04-2000, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know what an american truck is,I said no american would pass on a 5.9,or 7.3 engine to buy a little 3.9.I didnt mention who made them,we just like power a lot more than in other countrys.My Dodge was mostly American,it was made in St louis Missouri,with an engine from Columbus Ohio,a trans from somewhere USA,T case from Syracuse NY, and an Assembled in mexico wiring harness.I guess I think its USA content was 95%.I'm not dissing GM for using an Isuzu engine,athough if a CAT,Cummins orDetriot Deisel, were available,I would take them first.This engine is US built in a US plant with US workers,so its really up in the air as to it being an import.I just hope they dont use that buttery soft Japanese low quality steel.
Old 09-05-2000, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge, the Chevy 6.5 Diesel was designed mostly by Detriot Diesel, as was the old 6.2 diesel. GM also had a hand in the designing of both engines.
It really surprises me with Detriot's diesel expertise, that the 6.5 wasn't a better motor than it turned out to be..just too many problems with injection systems, oil leaks and such. Although some say that haven't had any problems. I'm a big Chevy man, but I'd really be leary of buying one.
I am hoping this 6.6 Diesel by Isuzu will be a great engine.
Isuzu builds great engines and medium duty trucks. I had an old 83 S10 with the Isuzu 1.9 L 4 cylinder, and when i sold it back in 95 to buy a new S10, that engine ran like a clock. It didn't use any oil, no leaks, and got good mileage. On the downside, it wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt..lol
The 6.6 seems really impressive on paper, and in magazine testing, let's see how it does in the real world. Hopefully it does great.

Tim
Old 09-05-2000, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this engine / transmission combo works as well as promised...I will trade the cummins in.