Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Steel pads on 8-9ton machines aren't that bad at leaving marks on pavement, but I do prefer road liners myself and I have heard good things about rubber tracks but no actual experience.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you ever looked at the Takeuchi TB285? We rented one this spring, during weight restrictions. Found so much use for it that we never brought it back. It fills the gap between our SR135 and SR35 very nicely. I am amazed at the power, reach and fuel efficiency of the TB285. Ours was new with a TAG manual coupler and hydraulic thumb. We are having the coupler swapped for a hydraulic "pin grabber" style coupler in a week or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a Doosan/Bobcat DX85 over the new KX080-4 when we were shopping last fall. Love the machine, cab is better than the Kubota IMO.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Small update we tried the E50 last week and after they quoted the machine with the trade of our 435 it was too good to pass up. I was very impressed with the 50 over the 435 just from the updated cab and controls alone it feels like a whole other class compared to our 435. Unfortunately, as far as a 9 ton they didn't even have an E85 to try/rent so we demoed the Cat 308 which is very impressive. We lifted full size mafia blocks, catch basin sumps, etc with the machine given it was with 13' of the center of house but it was still impressive even with the thumb and long stick. After seeing what the 308 could do we started a two month rental/purchase depending on how the fall goes and continuing workload.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004F550 View Post
Small update we tried the E50 last week and after they quoted the machine with the trade of our 435 it was too good to pass up. I was very impressed with the 50 over the 435 just from the updated cab and controls alone it feels like a whole other class compared to our 435. Unfortunately, as far as a 9 ton they didn't even have an E85 to try/rent so we demoed the Cat 308 which is very impressive. We lifted full size mafia blocks, catch basin sumps, etc with the machine given it was with 13' of the center of house but it was still impressive even with the thumb and long stick. After seeing what the 308 could do we started a two month rental/purchase depending on how the fall goes and continuing workload.
Posted via Mobile Device
Would love too hear about how the 308 does for you and also how the 2 compare in digging ability. It is always a big debate of whether the 8 ton is much of an advantage over the 5-6 ton machine too warrant a purchase.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In terms of standard digging I don't think you will see much of a difference. Where the midi's start pulling ahead is in lifting capacities and production digging in tough areas. I have seen an explosion of pc88 all over the place with large companies in the last 2 years. They are doing everything from sewer work to road building prep.

We demoed a kx080 on a training site during early spring when the ground was still frozen and it was pretty impressive with the 36" bucket.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
In terms of standard digging I don't think you will see much of a difference. Where the midi's start pulling ahead is in lifting capacities and production digging in tough areas. I have seen an explosion of pc88 all over the place with large companies in the last 2 years. They are doing everything from sewer work to road building prep.

We demoed a kx080 on a training site during early spring when the ground was still frozen and it was pretty impressive with the 36" bucket.
5 and 6 ton machines struggle in the real hard packed clay here in the summer. Only about 10% of the jobs I do are like this. It is painfully slow. Really no 6 ton machine is any better at this than the others when it gets this bad. If the 8 ton would rock right through it I can understand why they are gaining popularity.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We should be able to do a good test we have about a mile of underdrain to install and both machines will be digging along with our 410J should be interesting to see how they shake out. There is no doubt when it comes to lifting the 308 has it all over a 5-6 ton, pieces the 50 could only lift over the blade the 308 easily lifted and traveled with forward and backward and over the side even. Will be interested to see how the trenching goes with 18" buckets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you made the right decisions and will end up buying the 8 tonne once you start using it on jobs. 8 tonne machines fill a a nice gap in machine sizes. What type of work do you guys do? would love to see some pictures of your operation. Cheers

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
I think you made the right decisions and will end up buying the 8 tonne once you start using it on jobs. 8 tonne machines fill a a nice gap in machine sizes. What type of work do you guys do? would love to see some pictures of your operation. Cheers
We do full site development from land clearing to paving and everything in between we also process our own aggregate materials and operate a retail material yard. I love this forum especially for compact equipment because everyone is so knowledgable, 10 years ago one skid steer was the extent of our compact line and now we have many compact machines and can't imagine how we got by without them. Ill post some pictures next time I'm on the laptop, unless there is a way to do it from an iPhone on this forum.
Posted via Mobile Device