Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mobile Traffic for April 1 - Aug 1

I was doing a bit of research for a member here and decided to pull 8, randomly selected LCO's analytics data. I try to post these numbers when I pull together enough reporting, so here's the latest jump in mobile traffic (phones and tablets).

To show the growth, these numbers are from an October 2013 post I wrote on this forum.

Mobile Traffic - Phones & Tablets

October 2012
19.9% of total traffic
October 2013
29.7% of total traffic
This time, my interest was in looking at "in-season" numbers. I chose April 1 as the start of the season. So, across 8 sites, from a variety of US locations, including small, medium, and large markets:

April 1, 2014 - Aug 1, 2014 (Aggregate)
20,604 unique visitors
35.61% of total traffic
Lowest % of Mobile
600 unique visitors
23.75% of total traffic
Highest % of Mobile
3,976 unique visitors
40.68% of total traffic
Highest Overall Traffic
9,429 unique visitors
38.61% of total traffic
So, go blow the dust off your Google Analytics login and see where you stand.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Did you get my PM?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread should have 204 posts, not "Are you afraid to show off your lawn?". I have had trouble integrating google analytics with my wordpress theme on my month old site . I gave up a few weeks ago. This post made me realize its too important to forget about. I succesfully installed it earlier today. To my surprise I had about 20 hits since this morning. Not much but cool to see. I just was massing with it and saw real time traffic count at "1". It even told me what city the person was in. I have a space to enter a zip code to see if i service that area. The visitor was from an area I wanted to expand to but if they put in their zip it would say I don't service that area. Then they logged off with no conversion for my call to action. Minutes later I got a FB message from someone in that same area of town asking if I come to that area. I immediately replied and updated my zip code service plugin. Most likely will get a new customer!! Very happy!

My point. Take what TONYGREEK says and apply it. He is a wealth of information on here for websites and marketing and all that. Get more customers or worry about what kind of shorts everyone is wearing and miss out on growing the business in the middle of the summer.

If you are serious about the biz and growing it, find out whats important and who on here knows what they are talking about. Then do your homework. Stop worrying about mowing stripes(although I like a good stripe pattern!)

Sorry just rambling. Just want to create some motivation!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

1. desktop (48.33%)

2. mobile (40.51%)

3. tablet (11.16%)

It stands to reason that a high percent of our potential customers would be outside when they make the decision to search for and contact us. If your website isn't responsive or is unfriendly to all devices then you're closing the door on a lot of potential business.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just got my new weekly sign up! Google analytics shows it was from mobile (iphone). I think I am addicted to GA now.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Desktop:67%
Tablet: 17%
Mobile: 16%

This is from March 1 to yesterday. Any guesses why my mobile #'s are fairly low? Maybe because we are design/build? People still tend to research large purchases on the desktop.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my #s are pretty close to headz.

Desktop 61%
Mobile 20%
Tablet 18%
Old 08-07-2014, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
my #s are pretty close to headz.
Makes sense, our avg price range for a project is probably in the same ballpark too.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Desktop:67%
Tablet: 17%
Mobile: 16%

This is from March 1 to yesterday. Any guesses why my mobile #'s are fairly low? Maybe because we are design/build? People still tend to research large purchases on the desktop.
If I recall correctly, your numbers have always been a couple of points below what I see. To me, it's always interesting because of your particular, tech-forward, market. Maybe the rain keeps people from wandering around, using their devices to browse landscapers? What I do know is that, like with everything else, assumptions can be reeeally wrong. As I look at all of my data, the place that I would assume is the least technically forward actually accounts for the highest mobile use. Yes, Macon, Georgia is at 45.99%. Yes, I was shocked. The lowest, at 23.75%, was in a mid sized city that's part of one of the largest metros in the country. Go figure.

Why would they be lower? It could be because of people doing more research from the desktop. If you segment out referrals, and since you have done a great job of getting yourself noticed, it could be as simple as the referring sites having more traffic via the desktop.

For example, I'm a heavy "couch browser", using my tablet. If I'm visiting Houzz and just browsing, I'll use the tablet. If I'm going in for some power use, I always go desktop. I do this for just about any site or research. Multiple brower tabs alone make things much easier, especially when it comes to jumping from a source site and right clicking content links in to new tabs.

In terms of long-term mobile growth for local services sites, I still think the mobile/table peak (via devices as we currently know them) is going to be somewhere in the 50% range. I attribute this to the way people search from work or home. Everyone loves to search things on the bosses dime (check Analytics and see when people are hitting your site), but doing so via phone or tablet is not as easy to get away with as a desktop computer (the simple notion of using phone apps being perceived as playing games or texting is alive and well). If you do build some creative, custom reports, you'll probably see that your peak traffic is during the work day. What I've never dug down in to is device by time of day.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Makes sense, our avg price range for a project is probably in the same ballpark too.
In the sample I posted, 1 of those is pure, high-end design/build, with 38.58% mobile/tablet traffic. A couple are full-service, albeit primarily design build, and they're around 40%. Geographically, they form a large triangle on the US map.