Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Kichler 12V Fixtures

I'm an electrical contractor and do landscape lighting on rare occasions. My supplier doesn't carry landscape materials and there are no local suppliers.

I recently got a job and found a 600W Kichler transformer on Amazon and would like recommendations for Kichler fixtures. I need path lighting, floods and bullets. If you know fixtures that have held up ten years or more, I don't mind spending more on the fixtures. Also my latest install with LEDs wasn't a success so I would't mind Xenon or Halogen.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why wasn't your latest a success? My supplier is starting to stock more and more LED, less and less of others.

For path lights, i'd say the most popular is a Dome Path light. Bullets i've only used 4.5w +8.5w LED's comparable to an mr16's.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
Why wasn't your latest a success? My supplier is starting to stock more and more LED, less and less of others.

For path lights, i'd say the most popular is a Dome Path light. Bullets i've only used 4.5w +8.5w LED's comparable to an mr16's.
Thanks.

I completed a job started by another contractor. I didn't replace any fixtures but did a substantial amount of rewiring, complete resplicing and a landscaper buried the wire. Maybe 20-30% of the LED bulbs had failed within a year of the original installation and not long after I completed the job there were additional bulb failures. I made splices and used bulbs according to information received on this forum.

I tend to be very conservative with new products and suspect manufacturers are exaggerating the life of LEDs to market the cost, although installers on this site claim success with them. All I can say is the fixtures were in good shape and the voltage at the fixtures was consistently very close to 12V.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who manufacturered the LEDs? If they failed within a year, any reputable manufacturer will warranty that. However, your failure rate does not make sense. An LED failure is very rare overall. Personally , I have had 1 in several hundred.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any Kichler product is good. Just be cautious to choose the right fixture for the application.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lighting View Post
Who manufacturered the LEDs? If they failed within a year, any reputable manufacturer will warranty that. However, your failure rate does not make sense. An LED failure is very rare overall. Personally , I have had 1 in several hundred.
Posted via Mobile Device
Illumicare from Kenny Outdoor Solutions. I think the supplier was from Indianapolis. Worst customer service experience ever in case you suggest I return materials. I value my time. Wrong bulbs sent and charged for items not delivered. If I ever tried Illumicare again I would go national...New York I think because I had a very nice conversation with a national rep.

Anyway I never diagnosed the problem but am leery of callbacks with an expensive bulb. This project is close to home and replacing a cheaper bulb more often would be fine.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerElectrical View Post
I'm an electrical contractor and do landscape lighting on rare occasions. My supplier doesn't carry landscape materials and there are no local suppliers.

I recently got a job and found a 600W Kichler transformer on Amazon and would like recommendations for Kichler fixtures. I need path lighting, floods and bullets. If you know fixtures that have held up ten years or more, I don't mind spending more on the fixtures. Also my latest install with LEDs wasn't a success so I would't mind Xenon or Halogen.
If you're looking to go Kichler, I'm glad to help. We install a LOT of their lights. I've purchased over $100,000 in kichler lights just this year, so far. So I definitely have experience with their stuff.

I'm not sure what your problems were with LED before. But I would bet they weren't with the Kichler Design Pro LED line. Those have a very low failure rate, and a lot of that is because their fixtures are fully potted. Water and moister can't get inside and cause damage. All of their accent lights (flood, bullet, as you call them) are pretty much totally waterproof. You could turn one on, submerse it in a tank of water for 60 days, and pull it out and it would still be working just fine.

For pathway lights, I've found our best sellers are the 15820AZT. Those are an LED pathway fixture that is pretty bullet proof in terms of performance and dependability and they look great in almost any situation. The 15810AZT are the second most popular ones we sell. I'm also a huge fan of the 15839TZT. A little bit of a step up in price and finish. But they're great as well.

As for flood lights or bullet lights, I highly recommend their new line of Design Pro LED fixtures that have the Radiax technology. Wide variety and really bullet-proof fixture in terms of long-lasting performance, output and dependability.

Within that line are:

Extra Small
16000 (10 degree)
16001 (35 degree)
16002 (60 degree)

Small
16003 (10 degree)
16004 (35 degree)
16005 (60 degree)

Medium
16006 (10 degree)
16007 (35 degree)
16008 (60 degree)

Large
16009 (10 degree)
16010 (35 degree)
16011 (60 degree)

and

Extra Large
16012 (10 degree)
16013 (35 degree)
16014 (60 degree)

Those are all fixtures with the LED lamps fully embedded into the fixture. They come with a nice adjustable cowl and look great. I usually get them in the 27 degree Kelvin rating and the AZT finish. So if I wanted to illuminate a 5' tall weeping cedar or something like that, I'd want a small 35 degree fixture probably. So I'd order the 16004AZT27. If I wanted to illuminate a 70' tall fir tree, I'd want a couple Large 10 degree fixtures. So I'd order the 16009AZT27 fixtures.

Just do one or two jobs using these pathway lights and accent lights I've recommended above and tell me you and your customers don't love the results. They're great fixtures and I bet you wouldn't have hardly any problems with them.

If you need help picking out a specific fixture for a specific item you're wanting to illuminate, I would be glad to recommend one.

You can do some nice lighting just with the Xsmall, Small and Med. light fixtures above. I don't find we need the Lg. or XL very often.

Here's a good example of a job we did with just (3) of the Xsm 35 degree fixtures (16001AZT27)

Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. Good information and good photography.

I'll need to learn troubleshooting for LEDs. The more I think about it I think the job with all the LED problems was an upgrade from halogen bulbs (I removed an additional transformer and tied it all into one transformer) and the bi-pin sockets had grey paste like no-alox instead of copper grease. Maybe the fixtures leaked. It was irrigated.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, that's one reason I like the integrated LED option rather than just installing drop-in LED lamps on existing fixtures. It's a harder sell, but hardly ever any problems. But with the drop in LED on older fixtures (meaning 5-10 years or more) then you end up with too many problems with the existing fixtures. Aside from the problem that many of the LED drop ins are too tall to fit in certain fixtures, the other big problem I have is the old socket I'm plugging them into is corroded, falling apart, etc. Not the LED lamp's fault. Just the socket is starting to go out. Too much moisture in there over the years (especially here in Oregon where all it does is rain!) Which is why I like the integrated, water-proof fixtures. I've had a small percentage fail. But it's never been due to water or moisture intrusion.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon