Register free!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

planting 2-3 inch caliper trees

I've always been against these kind of threads but here I go starting one.. I'm looking at doing more installs than I've been doing but not sure I've really been charging enough for planting.. I can get 2-3 inch red maples for 95-110 dollars. Root ball is 36 inches. Just curious how all you experienced guys charge for this. Thanks for all replies I'm just in a pickle here it seems I've been coming out to cheap and I just keep raising prices and I'm always surprised at how people just say.. Oh is that all OK that sounds great lol so I want to see what everyone has to say
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I take whole sale price and times 2.4= customer price. I include 2 year warranty with auto water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you using to water them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2015, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use these
https://www.google.com/#q=tree+watering++bags&tbm=shop
Old 04-25-2015, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like to follow the Xx's the cost of the tree because each job is different. Access is going to be different, how your digging the hole, soil conditions etc. Are all going to be different. Plus when you are planting one tree vs ten trees your warranty is going to be different. On one tree you need to cover the entire warranty in that single tree. On a ten tree job its unlikely that all ten trees will die, so you may only need to figure two or three replacement trees to cover yourself.

Looking back on my numbers if I were to break it down the lowest I have been is right at about 3.75x's the cost of the tree, more likely though is around 4.25-4.5xs the cost. Some jobs I have been around 6x's the cost. Just depends.

You also need to remember that you are paying someone to go pickup the tree, wait while its loaded, travel to the job site, unload etc. That all needs to be factored into that planting job. Thats why at 2.5-3x's the cost of the tree guys don't make money.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
I don't like to follow the Xx's the cost of the tree because each job is different. Access is going to be different, how your digging the hole, soil conditions etc. Are all going to be different. Plus when you are planting one tree vs ten trees your warranty is going to be different. On one tree you need to cover the entire warranty in that single tree. On a ten tree job its unlikely that all ten trees will die, so you may only need to figure two or three replacement trees to cover yourself.

Looking back on my numbers if I were to break it down the lowest I have been is right at about 3.75x's the cost of the tree, more likely though is around 4.25-4.5xs the cost. Some jobs I have been around 6x's the cost. Just depends.

You also need to remember that you are paying someone to go pickup the tree, wait while its loaded, travel to the job site, unload etc. That all needs to be factored into that planting job. Thats why at 2.5-3x's the cost of the tree guys don't make money.
I make a great profit off of 3x the cost With a one year warranty. Close to 50%
Posted via Mobile Device