Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Training for String Trimming

Okay so, I have a new guy helping me doing leaves to get me through the year until my worker gets back from Iraq (hopefully he's getting back early in December instead of April).Either way, this new guy is someone that we would like to keep around for part time work for next season. The only problem is that he can't grasp string trimming (we are still cutting a few lawns in the midst of doing leaves) It's only been a few days but I try to show him the way I would do it, point him in the right direction, have him watch me, correct him, etc. I'm not saying he should be perfect yet but he doesn't seem to be picking up the basic concept of it. Any suggestions?
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The easiest way, unfortunately, is to kind of let them figure it out on their own.
So long you try to get the guys to do it exactly the way you want it, forget it lol

Look here, it only makes a difference to you, myself, and the rest of the crowd that goes nuts over this.
But to the customer, they don't care so long y'all do a good job.

So what you do is let the man do his thing, so long he knows to do a good job, and everything will be all right.
Yup
Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A cow whip. jk
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
The easiest way, unfortunately, is to kind of let them figure it out on their own.
So long you try to get the guys to do it exactly the way you want it, forget it lol

Look here, it only makes a difference to you, myself, and the rest of the crowd that goes nuts over this.
But to the customer, they don't care so long y'all do a good job.

So what you do is let the man do his thing, so long he knows to do a good job, and everything will be all right.
Yup
I normally let them learn on there own (with some guidance) but some spots don't get hit, some get badly scalped, and I don't want things to look really bad...I check over it and fix mistakes, just hoping there might be some tips or tricks out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaLawnboy View Post
A cow whip. jk
That might work!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
I normally let them learn on there own (with some guidance) but some spots don't get hit, some get badly scalped, and I don't want things to look really bad...I check over it and fix mistakes, just hoping there might be some tips or tricks out there.:
How about a simple basic incentive - if he gets is right all day - you give him the simplest of wrap up duties at the shop, or let his go a few minutes early on those day with pay?
I am not talking about forever here, but I bet if there was something small in it for him, he would take it much more serious and do his very best, every time , and you will get the results you are seeking faster.

When I used to supervise over 400 people, simple things often got big results. For example I would tell them that everyone that completed task A and B 100% to standards or above standard for that week - then they would win a chance in a raffle for for a free dinner. Now people are slackers and will not try to improve and complete these task, others will simply put more effort into it M-W and lose perspective by Thursday. A few would accomplish the task 100% - usually this was things that myself, regional, or Divisional vice president were putting their eye on. Cost me a $25 gift card here or there, but got me above standard evaluations and consistent merit raises.

You can not do this every know and again and it will work - do not try to do it every week as people will lose interest. Maybe once a month on something that you noticed on your P & L that you thought you could improve upon.

Just a thought.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would bet the guy isn't being a slacker or being lazy. Some people are just so bloody effeing stupid they can't remember to keep the turf on the lef and the bed on the right. They can't remember the inside/outside route thing, they can't remember to look around for well heads, trees, rocks out in the yard. They can't seem to angle and hold the whip to make a smooth even cut. And they really are so dumb they can't look at their own work and see what they fed up with out you rubbing their nose in it. Face it, every one is a complete dumbshat except you and me.
If they don't learn it within the first five minutes they are never going to. I have tried to teach 50 diffrent people this year and know this for a fact. It makes you wonder just what kind of action really goes on inside that head of theirs. I think some of these guys just have one lonely brain cell bouncing around.

Can you tell I'm a real dick about this topic, its the biggest pain in the arse every spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2009, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Okay so, I have a new guy helping me doing leaves to get me through the year until my worker gets back from Iraq (hopefully he's getting back early in December instead of April).Either way, this new guy is someone that we would like to keep around for part time work for next season. The only problem is that he can't grasp string trimming (we are still cutting a few lawns in the midst of doing leaves) It's only been a few days but I try to show him the way I would do it, point him in the right direction, have him watch me, correct him, etc. I'm not saying he should be perfect yet but he doesn't seem to be picking up the basic concept of it. Any suggestions?
Is there any reason that you have to keep this guy?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Member

It only takes a few days to get someone used to a new tool. Unless they are hopeless.

Try giving practice on less critical jobs.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All you can do is offer tips and guidance. He will have to learn it on his own. Hopefully, his learning curve will be short. Unfortunately, there is no "String Trimming For Dummies".
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would bring him to a feild with some taller grass and let him play around with the trimmer for a while. That will allow him to get a good feel for it. Everyone learns differently, some take longer than others. Give him some time and he will be a pro at it.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds