Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2003, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Confident Profesional Landscaper?

Spring has been here for two weeks and I'm loving it. Getting real good at estimating and just hired my first two guys from Mexico. Today after a 5 minute semi-heated phone conversation with a customer I had last year(he was claiming I didn't know what I was doing, prices to high). I told him to do himself a favor and fire me. He did. After thinking I made a bad move, probably lose his neighbor($45 total in cutting per week), I felt liberated not having to listen to this A $ $ hole anymore. I raised all my lawn prices %10 on most customers, just to weed out the cheapos and no one has batted an eye. People would actually call me to complain about the raise and by the end of the phone conversation I would have a spring cleanup and fertilizing package. This will be my seventh year in the business and here is what I want my clients to say about me. " He does excellent work, always on time for estimates, clean appearance, always does what he says, only thing is he's kinda expensive". These customers wouldn't fire me for any reason. I'm getting good at this. Making plans to sell my business for my 40th birthday, 7 seasons from now. Make an attainable goal and go for it. I started this business so I would have to sit in an office and have some moron tell me what to do. Never thought I'd make a decent living out of it. And I'm learning to type. AND HOW WAS YOUR DAY?
Old 03-26-2003, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent ConPro,

Your a fierce competitor and congratulations on the typing, but I think 'professional' has two S's.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's difficult to sell a big lawn care operation for decent money. Don't be counting on a windfall in selling it.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

one upset customer will tell 50 to 100 people about you.one happy customer will tell 2 or 3 people.i learned my lesson 3 years ago.you should raise your prices every year i feel.if you have a customer thats a pain in the you know what just keep raising him up and soon he will be out of your hair.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That feeling of dumping a pita customer is a good one for me as long as I know that I did what it takes to try and educate them to my way of thinking.
I will go the extra mile to try and appease them as long as I don't feel it is an abuse. If they are unreasonable in terms I won't put up with **** real long.
I haven't had to do it alot but I did last year and liked it. It does feel liberating to tell them to find someone else.

Kinda like getting someone to pick a sliver out of your backside. Initially its hard to do but when its done you are happy.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My thoughts Exactly (Still Have to work On Typing)
John.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glad that you got rid of a difficult customer. Just spend you time filling their spot with someone who complains less and pays more. This job is hard enough without dealing with difficult people.

Gravely_Man