Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Can you tell me what's wrong with this lawn??

I have been mowing this for the pass year and it keeps on making line within my stripes. I thought at first it was old blades, so I changed them but it still continues. The longer the lawn is, the more noticeable the unnecessary lines in my stripes are. Please let me know what's wrong!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Picture of the lawn

Name:  lawnnn 1.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  88.7 KB

picture of the lawn
Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The higher you cut the deeper the contrast, I cut at 4"
Old 08-09-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it actually in the stripe or between two stripes? Is it lighter than the stripe and Is the stripe light or dark? A picture would help a lot. Could be deck pitch, blades, something hanging down In the middle, tire overlap creating a contrast from the actual stripe.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could also be the rear antiscalp roller if its set low enough to push down on the grass. Not sure how your deck is setup.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenzelOSLLC View Post
Could also be the rear antiscalp roller if its set low enough to push down on the grass. Not sure how your deck is setup.
i did comment a picture, not sure if you can see it. Its the lines in my stripes that are lighter/ darker than my stripe (depending on which way im going)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what mower? size deck? when did you check you deck for level and pitch? which way did you mow last time?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk verbal abuse when I say that maybe it could be you just don't know what the hell you're doing.

That having been said I would go read up on the tactic, how it's done, there's articles describe it in detail, google is your friend here.
After that it boils down to practice...

I mean I cut grass most every single day except Sunday.
I've been drawing stripes for...
6 years?
7?

Who knows, but what I do know is they don't just appear as if by magic, it took a lot of tweaking and twiddling before they started to come out good.
I'm talking 3-4 years at a minimum before they start to look like someone photoshopped them, for me.
But it got better all along the way, so even after some months they started to look half way...

You have to understand, too...
The picture below is taken from JUST the right angle, standing with the sun almost right behind me.
Because once you get the CONTRAST going, the extra lines matter less.
A lot of it boils down to light and where the sun is, like I said read up on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by herler; 08-10-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk verbal abuse when I say that maybe it could be you just don't know what the hell you're doing.

That having been said I would go read up on the tactic, how it's done, there's articles describe it in detail, google is your friend here.

6 years?
7?

Who knows, but what I do know is they don't just appear as if by magic, it took a lot of tweaking and twiddling before they started to come out good.
I'm talking 3-4 years at a minimum before they start to look like someone photoshopped them, for me.
But it got better all along the way, so even after some months they started to look half way...

The picture below is taken from JUST the right angle, standing with the sun almost right behind me.
A lot of it boils down to light and where the sun is, like I said read up on it.
people pay you for that garbage?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

6 years?
7?

Looks pretty ugly. You have your sulky wheels swerving all over the place making some ugly stripes. Looks VERY shaggy to. maybe you should try lowering your cut some.