Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

id say your next step is a trailer and hitch
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. Today, I got another account. From a craigslist ad I have going. One guy on here said to not quote so low and told me he doesn't drop his blade for $45. So with this new account I quoted him $40 for an acre lot. (With his house and a shed). He accepted $40 and I'll drop the blade on his property for the first time tonight!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

That acre lot was huge. I don't know if that was an acre. It took me very long. My legs killed this morning. Going back in two weeks to mow and spread his own fertilizer for $55 not bad. Also, today I got another account which is right down the from his for a little $25 :'(. If it takes a while I am going to raise the price. I need a bigger mower, I need to move faster I feel sooo slow
Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Just got another right down the street by my house as well. $45 start tomorrow
Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Measure your props for turf square footage

We eyeball properties and price them that way but we also use numbers to double check. I went through our properties and looked at how long certain types of properties take and figured out how long they will take by square footages. We did small medium and large properties and broke them down into small hard, small medium, small easy difficulties wtc thrpugh the medium and large properties. We look at properties and say alright this is a large easy property we can do about 25000 square feet a hour(this includes edging and blowing). So if we have a 100000 square foot property it will take us four man hours. I would charge 160 to do the yard if I want to make money on it. We usually run three man crews so it would take them 1 hour and 20 minutes with a 48 inch wb and a 60 inch wb.

Another example would be a 15000 sq foot yard that is medium difficulty. We can do around 9000 sq feet a hour. It will take us 1 hour and 40 mins to complete. So with three guys it will take 33.3 minutes to complete. I would charge around 65 to do this. Drive time is included.

Eye balling stuff works but once you figure out what you can do in a hour qith the equipment you have you can charge accordingly by using turf square footage.

So what I am trying to get to is 40 to 45 is not enough for a acre of turf. If its easy mowing not a lot of weedeating I would charge around 80 to 85 dollars. Because it would take us around 2 hours.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

That post right there helped a lot to think about in the future. This morning I did an acre for about $25... It was severely under quoted. Cheap customer who hasn't mowed in a month. Got the account from a girl who asked for me lol. At this point I needed the money, because I am very close to getting a used 48" walk behind. I'm about to go out to the truck to see if I can fit it in there for a couple of weeks.

My second lawn I did for the day it was about an acre for $45. At the end, since it was the first mow she insisted on tipping me... I tried very hard to squeeze her in because she had to have it done. She tipped me $25! So I got a total of $70 off that property.

All together, made $95 off two properties. Took $10 for gas. Made $85 profit (without paying me a wage).

No lawns to do until tomorrow. (It is a new weekly mow, $35. About 1/2 acre. It is an easy medium) probably take 2 hours
Old 08-31-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Where are you located? I completely understand not charging as much as we do but you can make more. They need it done and would pay somebody 75 to mow that same size yard here. Charge more make more means you get better equipment faster. I wouldn't want to make $18 a hour to be out in the heat while they are probably sitting inside in the ac watching you sweat your butt off.

On another note you seem like your picking up yards pretty consistently. Do you work a job during the day?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperdude16 View Post
That post right there helped a lot to think about in the future. This morning I did an acre for about $25... It was severely under quoted. Cheap customer who hasn't mowed in a month. Got the account from a girl who asked for me lol. At this point I needed the money, because I am very close to getting a used 48" walk behind. I'm about to go out to the truck to see if I can fit it in there for a couple of weeks.

My second lawn I did for the day it was about an acre for $45. At the end, since it was the first mow she insisted on tipping me... I tried very hard to squeeze her in because she had to have it done. She tipped me $25! So I got a total of $70 off that property.

All together, made $95 off two properties. Took $10 for gas. Made $85 profit (without paying me a wage).

No lawns to do until tomorrow. (It is a new weekly mow, $35. About 1/2 acre. It is an easy medium) probably take 2 hours
Although I am happy for your very short term success rate, you must learn and understand that you did not make $85.00 profit (without paying me a wage)

I do believe with your drive and ambition you could possibly succeed in this industry, however if you do not take my advise and create a business plan going forward you will be doomed to failure. Please take my advise to heart and don't put off or make excuses not to follow through. These decisions will only harm you more in the short term and discourage future business.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

talk about a lowballer..........$25 for an acre?????

and it hasnt been mowed all month?
you just worked for peanuts
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I did especially with a freaking push mower. Today, I had two properties I did. One was a about a 1/2 acre (weekly mow) for $35 and then the guys friend pulled in the drive way and said he's heard of me and I was told he was going to come talk me. Did his 1/4 acre yard for $30. (New Bi-weekly).

Yeah man the one acre for $25 is not going to be cutting it... Maybe if it was a close friend and I had a walk behind, but with a push no way... My legs can't take it much longer.

As for the day job, I work about 32 hours during the week at the moment and then I just started mowing a month ago lol. I was working 72 hours a week before I started mowing, but I am making better money then the $8.70 minimum wage. (Financially, I have 2 months of rent in my pocket and am 20 years old)

I think that is why I am charging so low at the moment because before I was making $8.70 an hour! (I just realized that) I am already making a lot more... damn.

I have a question... How do I get a commercial property? I am located in Naugatuck, CT. I am so close to getting a walk behind. Like I will mow 10 acres with my push mower right now, because I could go buy a walk behind right now lol.

How did you guys get your first commercial property?