Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of the prices I charge people I didn't quote them, because this landscaping company called me from my Craigslist ad and said they moved out of state and I took on some of their accounts. We used the same rates for what they were charging each property, if that makes sense. (This company used a zero turn)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperdude16 View Post
Yeah, I did especially with a freaking push mower. Today, I had two properties I did. One was a about a 1/2 acre (weekly mow) for $35 and then the guys friend pulled in the drive way and said he's heard of me and I was told he was going to come talk me. Did his 1/4 acre yard for $30. (New Bi-weekly).

Yeah man the one acre for $25 is not going to be cutting it... Maybe if it was a close friend and I had a walk behind, but with a push no way... My legs can't take it much longer.

As for the day job, I work about 32 hours during the week at the moment and then I just started mowing a month ago lol. I was working 72 hours a week before I started mowing, but I am making better money then the $8.70 minimum wage. (Financially, I have 2 months of rent in my pocket and am 20 years old)

I think that is why I am charging so low at the moment because before I was making $8.70 an hour! (I just realized that) I am already making a lot more... damn.

I have a question... How do I get a commercial property? I am located in Naugatuck, CT. I am so close to getting a walk behind. Like I will mow 10 acres with my push mower right now, because I could go buy a walk behind right now lol.

How did you guys get your first commercial property?
Do you have insurance? I know in Tn no commercial property will even consider you unless you have insurance and are legit. You planning on paying taxes? Commercial properties are going to turn in what they paid you to the govt. if you get a big commercial job they may make sure you have workers compensation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh okay, Thanks for the information. May I ask what one of those big commercial jobs pay each time you come? Or do they pay a year up front or something?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperdude16 View Post
Oh okay, Thanks for the information. May I ask what one of those big commercial jobs pay each time you come? Or do they pay a year up front or something?
Each one is different. Depends on what they want, obviously the essentials(cut,trim, edge, blow) but you can also add leave removal, mulch replenishing, and some other things like pruning and such. Bidding a job seems easy until you have to do it the first couple times and screw yourself out of time and money. Most clients send a check at the end of the month. I'm just now starting my own business but I've running a small company for the past 3 years. I've learned time is money, you're getting yards in the same area and that's great just try to get them all in the same day to cut down drive time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

jdot

Do you go after cabin rental companies at all?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

That question is for jdotinger.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansprowl View Post
That question is for jdotinger.
We did last year and it turned into a nightmare. Dropped them. Now most of our clients are VRBO's(vacation rental by owner), so no middle man to go through. Much better. Some cabin companies are trying to keep it all in house and make their maintenance men cut the yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to chime in here, feel free to talk about whatever I dont care lol. But you guys were getting on me about quoting so low soo... today I was quoting a ladies yard. 1/2 acre for $50 bi weekly. (Mow, Trim & Blow) She accepted and I'll start tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning at 6:30am I am mowing my employer's property (It'll be about the third time now) I use his equipment and mine. he pays me hourly, we haven't talked about it but it is probably pretty obvious what I am doing with my spare time because of having two lawn mowers in my truck. lol

Also, I got wind of a landscaper that might need help who goes that place of work where I mow and I actually got very good details. Got his name and his phone number and my manager told me to call him and say his name. The story behind this is that it was Dean's business (the guy who I should call). Dean didn't want to do it anymore. Dean gave the accounts to his Nephew. His nephew most of given the accounts to Dean's son, because Dean's son now does the business. It sounds like they want out of it and want to dump off their accounts. I am hoping they give me some! This could be a big game changer and a walk behind in my pocket
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I called Dean and Dean said to me he's going to get back to me.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Great. Make sure you get a scheduling software or some way to keep up with accounts. It will make your life a lot easier.