Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Know any good ones?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We use qexpress which is part of quickbooks. Qexpress is good if you spend the money to get there best program. If you wanted something free you can use google calender and set up weekly or bi weekly recurring events. It just depends on how many customers you have. If you plan on sticking it out and growing to a decent size then spend the money. We schedule and bill everything from these programs.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yardbook. Com. Free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to work on charging people the correct amount the first time instead of undercutting like a mad man. I think if you were to sit down with someone from the Small Business Association you would see that you were barely breaking even and possibly losing money. The SBA has retired business owners, accountants, etc who volunteer their time and help you get set up

You are better off staying at home on the couch verus charging 25 bucks to pushmow an overgrown yard
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
You really need to work on charging people the correct amount the first time instead of undercutting like a mad man. I think if you were to sit down with someone from the Small Business Association you would see that you were barely breaking even and possibly losing money. The SBA has retired business owners, accountants, etc who volunteer their time and help you get set up

You are better off staying at home on the couch verus charging 25 bucks to pushmow an overgrown yard
I already advised the OP to contact score.org The OP is caught up in the moment and my advise is let him fall flat on his face or have a break down or damage one of his accounts properties. Sooner as apposed to later reality will bite him and he won't even remember the sound advise presented by the likes of
members on this site. The last part about staying at home will come due to an injury sustained from working far harder than smarter.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperdude16 View Post
That post right there helped a lot to think about in the future. This morning I did an acre for about $25... It was severely under quoted. Cheap customer who hasn't mowed in a month. Got the account from a girl who asked for me lol. At this point I needed the money, because I am very close to getting a used 48" walk behind. I'm about to go out to the truck to see if I can fit it in there for a couple of weeks.

My second lawn I did for the day it was about an acre for $45. At the end, since it was the first mow she insisted on tipping me... I tried very hard to squeeze her in because she had to have it done. She tipped me $25! So I got a total of $70 off that property.

All together, made $95 off two properties. Took $10 for gas. Made $85 profit (without paying me a wage).

No lawns to do until tomorrow. (It is a new weekly mow, $35. About 1/2 acre. It is an easy medium) probably take 2 hours
I learned quickly that when people tip you its generally because they paid the last guy and the one before that more than you charged . Luckily I learned this at the beginning.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay that is good to know. I got a 1/2 acre property for $50 so I am gradually going up on my prices lol. My apologies. I have 9 accounts right now
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Finishing out the season on the current prices I quoted people, but will wait until next season I will raise the rates because that is the reasonable thing to do.

I can't just say hey we agreed on this price this is the second time I'm mowing is it okay if I double the price? I have a couple more mows for the season for each and then season I will charge them a better price on my end. The new customers I pick up from now until the snow I will charge them more accordingly helpfully.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Yesterday I did the 1/2 acre for $50 and then there was a property that needed a little mowing in really small section of her property. I mowed, trimmed around her garden and then hand pulled grass around the plants... That was hard work. It took about 4 hours to do her property. Charged $135. More reasonable?

$50 + $135 for the day.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Better. You are still a little low but you are around $33 a hour. Be comfortable charging $40 to $45 a hour. If your product is worth it people will pay the extra money to have good service and communication. If they won't so be it. I know you are just starting out and taking whatever you can get but if you want new and better equipment you are going to have to charge more. Keep working hard and it will pay off, but remember to charge what you are worth.