Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2003, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My price on 8k sq ft is $36.00. Weekly only.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 03-27-2003, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As i said, my min is $25. I can mow, edge, trim and clean up that 8K sqft in 25 mins easy. I have no drive time since i already spend a half day in that hood anyway. I dont know what to tell you all, excet that i can easily pay my expenses, tax, insurance, and a hefty profit with $60 per hour.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. So let me explain it to you this way; post a picture of your home (that you bought), pickup, trailer, shop, equipment, and copy of your liability insurance and THEN I'll explain to you why you STILL aren't making enough money. (In fact, I won't have to. I bet the pictures will speak for themselves.)

Now if you've got a really nice truck, all the best equipment, the home you want, a nice shop, nice trailer, are always able to pay all of your bills on time every month, and have commercial liability insurance, I'll eat my words. And I'll agree that you are doing WONDERFUL, and don't need to charge any more than $25 for that account. But can you honestly say that all of the above is true and you have enough money to pay for everything you need to run a nice professional outfit and live a comfortable lifestyle??? If not, you need to charge more!!!

That's the problem with lowballers - they are never thinking in the long term. What it will cost to live on their own, have a shop, have and maintain nice respectable equipment, vehicles, trailers, etc. etc. etc........

Last edited by Miller; 03-27-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mac,

The neighborhood is going to dictate the price most of all, I think. If that's a good price for that neighborhood, plus you got some extra, sounds good to me. A lot of guys get on here and say "I get $75 per cut for a 3k lawn" for example. Maybe that lawn is attached to a 1 millon dollar home! Maybe your lawn is attached to an 80k home - big difference I feel. I wish folks would be a bit more specific about that, otherwise you could feel like you're too low.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Miller,

I'm with you 100% on that aspect and how you presented it. However, what do you do if your market just won't bear the prices that some others get? I have to deal with that all the time. I think maybe a good definition of a lowballer would be someone who is satisfied and content with taking less when there is more avalible. I do ok personnally, but would like way more (like you described), but I can't get blood out of a rock if you know what I mean.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"I'll throw in an extra $5 if you take care of me."

TRANSLATION:

"For $5 you are my personal slave. I will ask for lots of extras and expect them for free. If you hesitate I will lay on the heaviest guilt trip that you have ever felt. If you decline I will dump you, and spread the word that you are a terrible LCO."
Old 03-27-2003, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does any one here think that what might be a good price in one state may not be a good price in another? Give the guy a break. I am sure the cost of living is not as much in Ohio as it is in New York. Here in Florida we still have guys doing 5,000 sq. ft. lawns for $15.00 and that was the going rate 18 years ago! I do them for $20 by the week and get yearly prices for pruning, weed control, cutting, and fert. two times per year run around $125.00 per month. I only do about 10 weekly cut customers.

I am working two deals now for over 25K per year and another that is over 6K per year. If I get those two then I won't take on any other work for the rest of the year.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Miller
Ok. So let me explain it to you this way; post a picture of your home (that you bought), pickup, trailer, shop, equipment, and copy of your liability insurance and THEN I'll explain to you why you STILL aren't making enough money. (In fact, I won't have to. I bet the pictures will speak for themselves.)

Now if you've got a really nice truck, all the best equipment, the home you want, a nice shop, nice trailer, are always able to pay all of your bills on time every month, and have commercial liability insurance, I'll eat my words. And I'll agree that you are doing WONDERFUL, and don't need to charge any more than $25 for that account. But can you honestly say that all of the above is true and you have enough money to pay for everything you need to run a nice professional outfit and live a comfortable lifestyle??? If not, you need to charge more!!!

That's the problem with lowballers - they are never thinking in the long term. What it will cost to live on their own, have a shop, have and maintain nice respectable equipment, vehicles, trailers, etc. etc. etc........

AH..... The painful truth.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Remsen1
"I'll throw in an extra $5 if you take care of me."

TRANSLATION:

"For $5 you are my personal slave. I will ask for lots of extras and expect them for free. If you hesitate I will lay on the heaviest guilt trip that you have ever felt. If you decline I will dump you, and spread the word that you are a terrible LCO."
This is what I was thinking also. Now they own you. People DON'T offer to pay more for something without a reason.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what you are saying about not really charging enough, but sometimes I've felt that I had to lowball, at least to get started. I used to advertise for $25 lawn care, even though I did not do all yards for $25, I did quite a few of them for that price. I never measured them, but some of my competition has told me I was charging too much, and they wouldn't mow anything for $25. It's difficult when you're first getting started, because people don't know about you yet, so I figured I could work for less to get my foot in the door. Then, when I decided to raise my prices a little, and advertise for $30 lawn care, one of my competitors started a new service and put up signs everywhere for $20 lawn care. So, what do you do? I was almost forced to go back down to $25, because I didn't want my competition to be getting all the calls, even though I know he wasn't doing that much for $20, people would probably call him first, because he advertised $10 cheaper. And the ironic thing is that now that I have made signs for $25 lawn care, I don't even don't even think he's putting up his signs now. What would you have done in my postion? And another quick question: How much an hour is enough?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT