Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Z5000 (74370) burning oil suddenly

Have a Toro Z5000 (74370) with a single cylinder Kohler Courage engine @ 21HP. Tractor has been running good until yesterday morning. I was mowing a neighbors yard and the engine all of sudden started stuttering, losing power and cutting out. Got it back to my garage to inspect. I eventually found that the carb had come loose which I;'m guessing was starving the engine of fuel. Tightened the carb back down. Tractor fired right up so I finished the neighbors yard. I thought I detected a whiff of exhaust that smelled like oil burn. Wrote it off as getting some oil on the muffler. So today I mow my own yard which is 2 acres. I smell the same odor as yesterday. I don't really see smoke coming from the exhaust but the smell is there. After I finish mowing I let the mower sit 60 min then I checked the oil level. It was down about a 1/3 of a quart. I see a small amount of oil on the frame just under the air filter housing but no oil is on the air filter itself. I cleaned that area and topped off the oil level. I ran back over my 2 acre yard again with the same result. I lost/burned about 1/3 quart of oil again and there was a small amount of oil again on the exact same spot on the frame. Anyone hazard a guess as to what the heck has happened to cause the tractor to be burning oil all of a sudden ? Could the carb issue have caused this ?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well it's no simple I can tell you where the leak is based on what you told me...

I can tell you where to start looking but I'm past tired enough to want to type up 20 minutes of horse manure, go clean the engine up and start looking and see for yourself, play a bit of detective and help us out here, after the engine is clean run it on idle and just study it for a good 10 minutes and see if you see any oil coming out of anywhere, because that would be a great start!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Time for a new air filter perhaps?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Change the oil! Then look for a leak!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Changed the air filter. Still burning oil. I'm wondering if running the tractor for about 15 min with the carb loose (didn't know that was the problem at the time) caused the engine to heat up seizing the oil ring or perhaps blowing the head gasket ? At start up there is a large amount of blue smoke and it's still burning oil though at a slightly reduced rate now. Smelled the oil and there is no gas in it but I changed the oil anyway. There is still a small amount of oil showing up on the exact same spot of the frame. But there is no oil coming from the valve cover (put new gasket on) and there is no oil on the air filter. The only way I can see if it's coming from that side of the head is if I remove the air filter and housing. I'm reluctant to run the engine with that off. Someone on another forum recommended using some seafoam in the oil and to mow an acre or so. Then drain the oil and out fresh in. Is this safe to do ?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You keep saying its burning oil then you say it is leaking. You need to figure out where the external leak is coming from. Brake cleaner works well to clean upthe old oil. Then start it upand watch for the leak. Trace it back until you find it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
You keep saying its burning oil then you say it is leaking. You need to figure out where the external leak is coming from. Brake cleaner works well to clean upthe old oil. Then start it upand watch for the leak. Trace it back until you find it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Because it is burning oil. The leak is maybe a tablespoon full after 1.5hrs of mowing. But yes I need to find out where its leaking from
Posted via Mobile Device