Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check out this job...

We were contacted by a property manager for this building that they are renovating for high end apartments.

This terrace area is on the roof of a parking garage. They want all areas with vegetation grubbed out, 3-4" of soil removed, install fabric, then put in #57 (I recommended #34 gravel which they seem to prefer at this point). Then a bunch of decorative grasses and boston ivy anywhere along that perimiter wall.

My idea is to crane up a pt30 or mini skid for the grubbing then have to dump over that 6'6" wall into our dump truck 35' below in a parking lot. Then have a telehandler with a bucket haul up the aggregate to be installed by the mini skid.

The only other option for access is with wheelbarrows down a carpeted hallway, down a service elevator only big enough for 1 wheelbarrow, down 4 steps, through the marble lobby and outside on the street in front of a main entrance.

My only concern is that wood decking.

Gotta dump over this wall:

Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be a little hesitant to drop material that far off a roof. Is there no way to get it down from where that person Is walking? Can't tell exactly how the roof meets with the rest of the architecture.

I guess you could also do a bottom spill bucket on a crane. Load it up then lift it down and open into the truck. Since you mentioned the crane anyways.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I definitely wouldn't be dropping soil straight into a truck from 35' above, that would be vary hard on the suspension. How much material do you figure is coming out of there? Maybe get some small dumpsters hauled up there by crane and fill those. I don't see much being done by a skid steer...looks like mostly narrow areas for hand work, or a like a bobcat MT or a dumpy.

Maybe use the crane with a concrete dumping type hopper to spread the gravel/stone. Cranes are expensive but get a crap load of labour to load/unload material quickly and it may work.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Reading comprehension is key...machine I mentioned is a pt30, 48" wide, 3600lbs. I measured and it fits in all the narrow areas. The dump truck is a c6500, not a little 1ton. We will have plywood built up as a funnel into the dump bed. Not like we are dumping 1yd of dirt at a time...

Like I said, only other access is through hallways, down a small elevator and down some stairs through the main lobby...

No way they or I am going to pay to have a crane sitting on site waiting around to be filled by a little 48" gp bucket.

Bids going to be between 17-20k

Last edited by ProTouch Groundscapes; 08-15-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did a week rent on a pt30 i think it was $800, great machine. Its exactly 48 so make sure you have a little wiggle room. As far as the funnel, you can try it but you're probably better of dumping to the ground then having a real machine load the truck after its all down.

Check the framing on the deck but if you lay down some plywood it should be all good. The pt floats well with the asv undercarriage.

Could the telehandler put the pt up there and save you a day with the crane? Another way would be to have them crane up enough dumpsters for everything the first day, maybe even filled with gravel and dump them up there. Then on the second trip just crane down the full cans and equip. A small ex like a tb016 could compliment the pt well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I did a week rent on a pt30 i think it was $800, great machine. Its exactly 48 so make sure you have a little wiggle room. As far as the funnel, you can try it but you're probably better of dumping to the ground then having a real machine load the truck after its all down.

Check the framing on the deck but if you lay down some plywood it should be all good. The pt floats well with the asv undercarriage.

Could the telehandler put the pt up there and save you a day with the crane? Another way would be to have them crane up enough dumpsters for everything the first day, maybe even filled with gravel and dump them up there. Then on the second trip just crane down the full cans and equip. A small ex like a tb016 could compliment the pt well
Posted via Mobile Device

I looked into the telehandlers a bit more and am thinking about going with an 8-10k unit which should be able to set the pt30 up there. Also going to rent their larger bucket which would allow us to use the pt30 to load that and then load into the truck using the telehandler. Should be much cleaner this way. The narrow areas around the court are 50" lol.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm glad you mentioned a dump chute, that was a concern in my head... You'll certainly have a lot of downtime with the dump truck, but I think you've figured out the best option. Someone mentioned craning a dumpster to the roof... it sounds good in theory, but it would only be efficient if it was big enough to last the whole job, and at that point I'd worry about floor loading with a dumpster full of soil on the roof of a building.

You mentioned being concerned with the wood decking... surely you don't plan on operating the skid on that deck? I'd plan on that area being worked by hand. If you already did, and your concern is with running a wheelbarrow across it, I would tend to agree with that concern as well. It looks like the poured curb around the deck is wide enough for a wheelbarrow though... a good laborer should be able to "walk the line," don't you think?

You may want to consult a structural engineer to analyze the impact of this renovation. You can try excluding the structural verification from your contract, but it probably wouldn't fly in court if a problem surfaces, especially since you're already making recommendations to change the materials this client had requested.

All in all, I think you've got it figured out. Good luck on the bid. If you win it, I hope you post progress pictures. This would be a cool project to follow.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the job was 50 yds for example, you could put a couple 2o yarders up there and load halfway. I've seen it done with snow. But loading the telehandler bucket sounds better

When i had the pt i just had it running and dumping as fast as possible to the street. Took too long loading the dumpster. I felt like my gehl had 4x the bucket. No joke it felt like i ran the pt for an hour then loaded the truck with the gehl in 5 mins. If you think it would be a faster cycle timr just dump it off the roof to the ground
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its quoted for approximately 65 tons of #34 gravel to be installed. The approximate area is 6500 sq. ft. of area to be grubbed out. Its hard to tell how much soil to be taken out due to the amount of vegetation and we want to leave a good enough base for the new plantings. I'd assume 30-40 yds of soil removal.

My only cost for the soil is time and trucking as we are composting this on our own property, so no disposal fees.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I deal with these types of jobs everyday ( doing removals and reinstatements on structural slabs ) lots of ways to attack this podium deck. Pm or fb me your square footage and depths and il help you with a price as well as a few different ways we have attacked these types of jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device